Those lilies still need stamens, but those will come later.
A couple of months ago I joined the Complex Cloth list and so far I just lurk and listen. I'm not much of an original cloth maker, but am kind of fascinated by the processes used. Gerrie is so into making art cloth that I get to live a bit vicariously when she shows us her newest shibori and indigo dying and screen printing. It seems to me that her work just gets better and better, so I keep wondering if I am missing out by not incorporating some of these techniques. I have, I must admit, an aversion to "moosh"—my own term for that indistinct, sometimes muddy smooshiness that results from some of the artcloth techniques, especially dye techniques. I really like crispness. Still. . .
There has been talk lately on the Complex Cloth list of resist dyeing using school glue as a resist. Hmmm, I have an old bottle of that blue, gel-ish glue and some very cool carved wood stamps. So I cut a square of fabric late last night and stamped some glue all over it. This morning I painted over it (no, I was not up for mixing dyes and all that entails), let it dry, then stamped some more and painted some more. Here is the result. Not sure what I will do with it, but I think it's kind of pretty!
Batik-ish, but without the gacky wax. (I made a lot of batik in my distant youth and have had my fill of that kind of messiness) Only a little bit mooshy.
Here are the stamps I used.
They are really very cool. I have had them for so long I can't even remember where I got them. They are wood and are from India I think. Their original use was for batik, for stamping wax. I've used them in several ways, including directly inking them and stamping.
So, now I feel like an artist again. Back to the dishes and laundry and floorplans—