Monday, June 30, 2014

Getting ready for a change—sort of

More and more I am intrigued by, and pulled toward "drawing" with black thread on fabric. I have done a bit of what I'm talking about. Like this:


And this one. 

          

I have been looking at artists like Cathy Cullis and Lou Trigg and especially Gillian Bates, and wanting to try something more serious and complex and with more detail. I am thinking and thinking about how I want to do this and what materials I want to use and what I want to portray and how it relates to what I usually do and how I can use what I've already developed as part of something else. I probably ought to jump in, but somehow I feel like I need to think it through a bit more. I'm not usually this obsessive. Bear with me, I'm getting there. 

Meanwhile I putter. Ray drove some really tall poles into the little garden to anchor his wire apparatus for vines to climb. To me they called out for fluttery little flags. 


It was a good use for some of the pretty batik fabrics in my stash. They really glow when the sun shines through them. I love the way they turned out. Turns the garden into a festival, somehow. 

And further puttering—  my STASH friend, Suzy, brought each of us a wonderful little fabric fish from Japan last month. I have been looking at mine wondering how I could best display him and was inspired by Ray's collection of bamboo sticks, to poke one into a potted plant with the fish hanging from it. Catch of the day!






3 comments:

  1. It will be fun to see what you come up with. I, for one, love both of the pieces above, especially the bowl. The colors in that one just make me happy and of course, I love the shirting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the garden bunting - how festive! Your fish is neat. Good idea on the bamboo poles. I have an origami fish in my cubicle that is attached by thread to a little bamboo skewer. The pointy end of the skewer can poke in the bulletin board wall of my cubicle. When my fan is on, he 'swims'. Fish sticks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:09 PM

    I like the wonky tippiness of the bowl composition a lot.

    ReplyDelete