Saturday, March 28, 2015

Terry's Technicolor Dream Shoes

This is kind of a rant. About shoes. I have reached the point in my life where shoes are constantly on my mind. Not so much because I am such a shoe fashionista, but because my feet hurt and I want comfortable shoes, especially to travel and walk in. And I kind of want them to look good. I have spent way too much money in this quest. I have bought expensive shoes and cheap shoes and lots inbetween.

Last fall when we were going to Spain I read a friend's post on Facebook about the shoes she had worn to Paris and how she wore them everyday and how wonderful and comfortable they were, so I messaged her to find out what they were. Skechers Go Walk shoes. I went out and bought a pair and they were all she claimed and not even really expensive. I took several pairs of shoes to Spain, but these were the shoes I wore.

Here they are walking on beautiful tiles at the Alhambra.

They really are the most comfortable shoes I have worn in recent memory, including some very highly regarded fancy expensive shoes. I loved these shoes. They are squishy, yet supportive. I could walk all day on cobblestones and up crumbling stairs. They are lightweight and actually pretty washable. They held up well and I continue to wear them. Summer is coming and we are planning another trip and I think I want another pair. Something a little more exciting than gray would be nice, but I go here to look at them and what do I find? Gray. More gray. Black. More black. Then, icky pastel-y 5-year-old colors--turquoise, hot pink and lavender. These are not my colors. These, I guess. are old lady shoes. I'll own that. But I am insulted by what, I guess, are supposed to be old lady colors.  These, I suppose, are keyed to go with floral polyester blouses and polyester pull-on pants. Have shoe designers ever really looked at what women of a certain age are wearing outside the nursing home???

I have some suggestions for the designers at Skechers. If you made some good colors I would buy your shoes in multiples. I came up with some ideas. What do you think?


How hard could that be?

20 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, and YES!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have the neon green and the stripe, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have the neon green and the stripe, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. give me a blank canvas..no matter the shape..and I"ll make it my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill O'Connor6:16 PM

    Red - I want red shoes that are comfortable, affordable and I can put my orthotics in. All of yours are good too. But mostly I want red. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, send them in to sketchers. Maybe they will listen. Yes, it would be for the first time

    ReplyDelete
  7. but did you see these? same shoes, different material. I love these purple multi things!
    http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Womens-Go-Walk-Walking/dp/B00I5IGSUA/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=10MC9KHZ62MGECHA1EJD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bright colored shoes! Send in the suggestions--we 'women of a certain age' ALL want something besides gray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, comfortable shoes that don't look like old lady shoes. By the way, I saw your shirt quilt at IQF in Chicago on Friday. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zappos has several different Skechers Performance Go Walk styles in different colors. Is there a big difference between Skechers Performance Go Walk and Skechers Woman's Go Walk 2-axis fashion sneaker?

    I'm almost ready to buy a pair of these based solely on your recommendation, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Instead of seeing the 'bleh' colors as a liability, I see them as a challenge.

    I have several plain canvas shoes that I have decorated to match various events/outings: a Star Wars themed roller derby (one shoe R2D2, the other C3PO); a trip to the southwest (adobe/mesa/coyote/clay pots, etc.); an international soccer game (the teams logo(s)).

    I've even seen some quilters who decoupaged selvage strips to their Vans. :)

    Enjoy the opportunities! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Try painting or dying them. Lots of supplies in Dharma Trading.

    Speaking of companies not making things for women of a certain age, try finding a swimsuit that does not show cleavage or have a modest neckline also to cover up skin cancer sensitive chest area. I don't need a shirt, just a modest suit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a note of clarification: there are different styles of Go Walk shoes. The 2-axis style is cut lower over the instep and were most comfortable for me. Try them on if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They don't have the 2 axis on their site anymore, but the GoWalk 3 comes in lime, turquoise, hot pink, red, and boring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure about the green ones...but I would love a pair of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post made me smile because I recently picked up a pair in the only color available where I found them ... GRAY and wished there were more interesting colors/fabrications.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love my Skechers; you've seen them. They're black with a turquoise sole and lime-green stitching on the instep.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i would paint up a batch of them because you can!
    i am over mature myself and live in oofoos sandals in almost every color they make because if you feet hurt.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Terry, I wanted to tell you about a rival to this shoe brand: BucketFeet at Nordstrom. Very comfy!! Many attractive designs. Includes massage "bubbles" & antimicrobial lining. I forget that I'm wearing them!

    ReplyDelete