It has actually been more than a month since I started this, but I have been thinking about what I have learned so far.
1. Bloggers are a secret community -- especially the Artful Quilters Blog Ring. Everyone seems very chummy and familiar. It feels like there is an inner circle. They all link to one another and leave comments on each other's blogs. I feel like the new girl at school. They are checking me out. Some have left comments -- nice things. It's like when the "in group" tells the new girl they like her shoes. It isn't the same as being invited to eat lunch with them, but it's a step in that direction. I'll feel like I've been included at the cool lunch table when I see my blog listed on one of their "links" lists.
2. Posting a blog entry is way easier than creating a web page. It gives one a sense of power and a little thrill of seeing your words "in print". I am understanding the addictive nature of the blog.
3. I like the pictures in blogs. I am likely to skip reading a blog that has no pictures. Maybe I like pictures too much. Maybe I have been posting too many pictures that aren't too interesting just for the sake of having lots of pictures. My husband told me he couldn't download all the pictures when he looked at my last several entries. Maybe I will be more selective when including pictures. Maybe.
4. Speaking of the pictures, getting them placed in the text in a nice way is a pain in the ass. Maybe I haven't figured it all out, but why do they each come into the text right at the top? Then why is it so hard to move them around? And why does the text wrap and jump so oddly? It is hard to get a nice neat layout.
5. Getting all that extra stuff in the sidebar, like links, is a little bit complicated and time-consuming. I need to work on that.
6. I have started viewing all the events of my everyday life as potential blog subject matter. Isn't this a little wierd? Should I be worried?