Friday, April 10, 2009

Oregon


Oregon is a beautiful place. Today I drove to Eugene, which is two hours south of Portland, to meet with the other two members of the committee that has been organizing the "Line Dance" Show that High Fiber Diet is having, starting next week.
Once out of Portland, the scenery is mostly farmland from here to Eugene and this time of year the variety of greens is breathtaking. I always think of the first time I made this drive. It was about this time of year, after we had moved from Idaho to Ashland, Oregon, which is at the south end of the Oregon section of I-5. We drove to Portland and the misty hills, beautiful barns and brilliant green were like another world to me, after Idaho's high desert sagebrush and bare hills. We passed meadows filled with sheep, just like the ones I saw today, grazing around the funny little hills that seem to pop up randomly.

I went home and started designing sheep.


I sold the pattern for quite a few years. When we moved last fall I recycled the last of the pattern sheets.

The fiber art jurying went pretty well. It was difficult, but my fellow jurors were great and we were pretty much in agreement. The group decided on a juried show and a committment to become a more polished and professional group. We took this to heart and eliminated pieces that fell short in our estimation, or simply did not work with the rest. But this is not easy, especially when you know the artists. Painful, really. It is hard to reject a piece when you know how much time and energy went into it. Or when you know what a leap it was for the maker to even enter the show. While I feel very good about the show we chose, I am feeling a little sad about the work we didn't choose.

4 comments:

  1. The landscape is beautiful, indeed! -- What size are the sheep? -- Being in a jury must be difficult, but if you think of broken hearts with every piece you reject... I think that such competitions are there to define a quality standard, too, and to evoke ambition in those who haven't reached it (yet). There is no other way to raise the standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For several years I made my way to the Oregon coast for a colored pencil workshop. My favorite part was seeing the lush green farms as I made it down I-5 then turned off to Corvallis. I love your sheep - I'd be more than happy to purchase one of your patterns if you haven't recycled all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Eva. It does make you keep striving for the goal of either being accepted in a show and after that, winning a prize.

    Absolutely luscious photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry
    I'm sure your group will be rewarded for the courage of pursuing excellence. This is not to belittle the work that was not selected. Rather it should be seen as part of the process. I hope that you will be able to share some of the works in due course. (PS: Happy birthday - belatedly!)

    ReplyDelete