Friday, January 27, 2012

Ginny got around

Some days I seem to encounter myself on other peoples' blogs. I tell you it is eery to read your own story coming from someone else's memory.


One of my favorite fabric artists is Sandy Donabed. I have "known " her for many years, though we've never actually met. She is, I think, exactly the same age as I and she lives in Florida and writes one of my favorite blogs. She is really funny, smart and interesting. On her blog today she told the story, which she has turned into an illustrated sketchbook, of how Ginny taught her to sew in 1952.

Well, ME TOO! That's my Ginny, above. She is about 8" tall and was the one thing every girl child wanted in 1952, and after adding up my birthday money I had enough to buy my own Ginny. My grandmother was visiting and she accompanied me to the store. Sadly, I did not have enough money to buy any of the many adorable outfits that were sold for the doll. Grandma said, "psssht, that's not a problem, we can make our own." That evening we sat on the front steps and hand-sewed a pleated skirt, blouse and matching tam. Grandma didn't fool around with beginner's stuff. During Grandma's visit we made several outfits for Ginny, including the dress above. It was made from scraps from matching dresses my mother had made for my sister and me. Ginny's dress is a simplified version. That was the beginning for me, just as it was for my friend, Sandy. From that moment on I was obsessed with sewing.

I fully expect to hear from someone else that Ginny also taught them to sew, probably in 1952. Spooky, isn't it?

11 comments:

  1. 52 was the year my grandmother put me to work embroidering the borders of all the pillowcases in the house with cross stitching. From there I graduated to monogramming raggedy kitchen towels with the letters I was learning to write with a giant pencil. My younger sister was given a Ginny doll and I remember sewing it into a pillow case and threatening to drop it out a third floor window. Do you think I was mad about not getting a doll?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherrill7:21 AM

    You are right, Ginny also taught me to sew. I started with the scraps from the dresses my mother made for my sister and me. Then I saved my money and bought new "material" by the quarter yard. In fact that is how I learned about fractions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very interesting story as I started sewing making doll clothes. My mother would leave her sewing machine out and when she wasn't around I would sew on it. I don't think that she ever knew that I was sewing on it. I also learned to knit and crochet for my doll. The time was late 40s into the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wave of memory! I didn't have Ginny, I had another doll (forgot her name) that I made doll clothes for. I remember those tiny buttons and tiny snaps. My stash --the leftovers from the dresses my mother made for me. I've never lost the thrill of deciding what to make and cutting into fabric.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am too old to have had a Ginny. But, my grandmother and I sewed clothes for my baby doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny didn't teach me to sew, but I sure loved my Ginny, Ginette and Jill dolls to death. Yes, I had all 3 sisters. If I whined enough, my Mom would get me stuff against her better judgment just to shut me up! I didn't save mine, but I often think of them. Thanks for sharing the photo of your precious Ginny!

    I do think the way I learned to knit though was with a kit to make a coat for a Barbie doll. I was too old for dolls by the time Barbie came on the scene, but well-prepared for knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I went to write on the blog and thought there was something wrong because of the huge spike in readers today! All because of you and Ginny! Thanks for sending folks over to see Ginny, At some point I will post the whole book but am dealing with a hard drive crash-ola, had to take the images all over again.

    So nice to know that 1952 was such a life-changing year for so many of us! I still lust after store-bought clothes, for both me and Ginny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my Ginny dolls well! I got mine a little later - maybe 1954 0r 55. And, since my mother didn't sew (except to sew on buttons, etc.), Ginny didn't teach me to sew. But I sure did love those dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have my Ginny doll too! I didn't make her clothes but watched my Mom making clothes for her. By the time I was 8 I was doing embroidery and my grandma had taught me to knit very odd shaped baby blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a Ginny doll, from the 1980's. :) She looks the same! I never really did have the patience to sew... I think that my impatience wore on both my mom and grandma. So, sadly, my Ginny clothes are the adorable store-bought kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks exactly like my Ginny doll..braids and all! She and my grandmother also taught me how to sew. Recently, I've acquired a couple of reproductions and anm now sewing for them...

    ReplyDelete