Monday, October 15, 2012

The week that was

It hasn't rained here for a couple of months. Not a drop. It has been weird. Very un-Oregon type weather. But Friday morning the drought ended right in the middle of our walk. We knew it was coming, thus the umbrellas. Those are my walking buddies, Beth and Paula. After more than 30 years here, I must finally be a true Oregonian. The rain was so great! It smelled divine. It felt wonderful. Not that we haven't enjoyed a nice long, dry fall, but the time had come. The last of our very small tomato crop came indoors to ripen (or rot) on the counter by the window.

I love how that big tomato looks almost exactly like a small version of my ceramic pumpkin.

Last weekend I had a yen for good tacos, so I cooked a pork shoulder in the crock pot all day and went off to my favorite Mexican market for fresh tortillas, only to learn that the place has changed hands and they are not making tortillas anymore. I bought a big bag of leathery grocery store tortillas and whined on Facebook about my disappointment. Sandy Donabed kindly pointed out that they sell tortilla presses on Amazon.com. It arrived yesterday. Amazon is the best. Can't wait to try it out.


This weekly roundup of Grant news is a little random, but bear with me. Next up—Juniper berry soda.

I grew up in a land of juniper trees, loaded with juniper berries and love the smell and love the taste of juniper berry tea which we used to brew in Girl Scouts. I don't, however, like gin, which is made from juniper berries too. When I spotted this fancy schmancy soda at our fancy schmancy grocery store I could not resist. It was somewhat disappointing. Not very sweet, but too sweet to be totally not sweet (if you know what I mean) and, for me, not junipery enough. Maybe it needed a shot of gin! Sure is pretty though, don't you think?

And finally, my friend Kathy called and said she was coming by with a piece of fabric I needed for my collection of stripes. Well yeah!


 Then Ray and I went to see "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." It was great—really beautiful and touching.

Small pleasures and surprises all week, even including our misbegotten date last night. Can't ask for much more than that. And now it is officially Monday and we start all over again.

2 comments:

  1. What a bright and shiny tortilla press! Glad you got it. I was given one by a friend from Texas back in the late 60's but used it maybe once and it got lost over my moves and changes. I now have a big sack of masa here, bought for some tamales I haven't made yet, and want my own tortilla press! I know, I'll GO TO AMAZON! Love your posts- they pop up first on my reader so I always am on top of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lavendar soda by the same company is pretty good, although I can't drink a whole bottle of it.

    ReplyDelete