Thursday, October 30, 2014

Puzzle pieces

 

Here's today's progress on the Prado Bird. Fitting little puzzle pieces together. As I was working on this I was remembering all the broken tile mosaic work that we saw in Barcelona. From the tradition of exquisite Moorish tile in Spain, the Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi used broken tiles to decorate his buildings and sculptural work. Here is part of the facade of his Casa Batllo.

The most incredible mosaics, though, were at Guell Park, a large park, designed by Gaudi. This big lizard greets you at the entrance.

 

The long serpentine bench was gloriously encrusted.

So as I was piecing together all those little bits of fabric it made me think of the craftsmen who carried out Gaudi's vision with all those little bits of tile. There is something incredibly satisfying about taking disparate pieces and working them into a whole. I felt a little kinship with those Gaudi craftsmen. You might remember the mosaic I made from broken tile for the center of our little patio. It's not Park Guell, but it's a start.

Bits and pieces. Scraps of fabric and broken tiles become birds and lizards and explosions of color. Pretty great when you think about it.

 

7 comments:

  1. Your little bird is coming along beautifully. That first photo of the facade at Casa Batilo is a knockout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love everything you've done with the shirting fabrics and this one is no exception. So fun to watch it progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:29 AM

    I think your little bird is going to be one of my favorites. Marken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Terry. You are the only one I know who could go from gaudy Gaudi to your beautifully restrained palette! It will be fascinating to see how you bring this to life then with your stitching.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing a great job with your neutral palatte, maintaining value contrast & texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely little bird! Is it time for another bird in TCQC? About what size will it be when finished. Remember, I spoke first. Love, Del

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little bird is great! I just got back from IQF and was so thrilled to see your pieces in redirecting the ordinary and the dinner at eight exhibit (not sure if you have others). They look so great in person and I was excited to show them to my mom who was there with me.

    ReplyDelete