Sunday, June 19, 2016

Portland Art Museum and more

The SAQA group often takes our meeting to the Portland Art Museum, especially when the current exhibit has some connection to fabric or fiber, as we did this last week. "Native Fashion Now" is a very exciting exhibit of fashion being created by contemporary Native American designers. The whole exhibit was such a wonderful combination of traditional motifs and ideas reimagined in very dramatic modern ways. Really a wonderful show! Don't miss it if you are in the area now through September 4.

I love the Portland Art Museum and count it as one of the best things about living here. Besides bringing in great work to show, they are masters at the Art of presentation. While I was there last week, my friends Suzy and Kristin and I headed over to the modern wing of the museum to see the museums recent acquisition by the Ghanaian artist, El Anatsui called called "Life Egg". It is spectacular, with a very fabric-like quality, though it is made from cast off materials, such as scrap aluminum and metal bottle caps and the seals from whiskey bottles. Inspiring and such shimmering beauty!

It was a great downtown day, capped with seeing the traveling roadshow of the Broadway production of "Motown, the Musical." Meanwhile back at the studio I spent a frenzied week of finishing and submitting work, followed by a week of finally getting to some clothing projects I've had on hold.

Last winter I bought a pattern for a summer dress, to use a length of pretty purple linen I've been sitting on, awaiting the right thing, for awhile.

I think it will be cool and nice for a hot day—barely touches the body!

Then I tackled a repurposing of a favorite shirt that got a bleach spot. (Don't you hate that?). I dug around in my stash and came up with a couple fabrics to add to the shirt after cutting off the ruined section. I also cut off the cuffs and added a new look to the sleeves. I wore it to my STASH meeting for their opinions on the result and was assured it it wasn't dumb and no, it doesn't look like a beautician's smock. I lose perspective on some of my clothing choices and feel very insecure. I count on my friends to not let me look stupid.

So, summer is here. I put in a long day in the studio today, before the summer activity begins! Travel, grandchildren, friends and days outdoors beckon.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oooh! An el anatsui! That's just put the art museum on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the museum exhibits, I'm always impressed when artists repurpose materials or use things that I would certainly toss out. I especially like your shirt--so artistic and fashionable! I like tailored clothing, but stylish. I hardly ever purchase anything, however, now that I'm retired. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the dress a commercial pattern? If yes, I'd be interested to know company and pattern number. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://merchantandmills.com/products/patterns/dress-shirt-pattern-multi-size/

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Love the blue(suede?)boots with the swallows....delicious! Julie

    ReplyDelete