Saturday, July 02, 2016

Just Because...

Because, for the past year I have been making work to fit themes for specific shows, and it seemed like I had a window to do something just because I wanted to try some ideas that have been building. And because I pulled all the stripes out of my stash one day and got excited about stripes all over again. (I've always loved them.)

Because Ray brought in a bouquet of roses from the garden and I mostly loved the big leaves, even more than the blossoms, and I got to wondering if a bouquet of roses wasn't just the most trite and mindless subject for a piece of art and did it have to be just so darned "sweet"? Maybe roses can be bold and strong—right? In my online art group discussions people bemoan the idea that "everything has already been done" and I always think, "well there are endless ways of doing the same thing—maybe my way hasn't been done." So, why not a big, fat bouquet of roses?

And so because I have come to love designing with my iPad, and because I find photos a good starting place, I got right on it.

Outlined the basic shapes, and added another rose, because it needed one.

Took the photo away.

Roughed in some color to check balance and composition. Then started building parts from my striped fabrics.

Until I had this. All stripes. I think stripes have a lot of energy.

And because it seems like it still needs something, I went back to the iPad to try out some ideas. Isn't it cool that I can play with ideas on the screen without wasting fabric on things that might not be used? I think it is!

What do you think—add those leaves? Yes or no? (I'm leaning toward "yes")

So this is what I'm doing, just because. It's pretty big—about 40" high. And because I know someone will ask, I am using an app called Sketchclub and a new stylus—the Friendly Swede 3-in-1 Stylus, which I like a lot, but any drawing app with layers and any stylus will do.

 

30 comments:

  1. Yes, add the leaves! And thanks for the info about Sketchclub and your stylus.

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work, and thanks for sharing a glimpse into your design process. I agree, YES, add the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shimmer of the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add the leaves. Everything is more balanced with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! It adds some interest to counter balance the heaviness of the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this! Got that app when you first mentioned it, but needed a reminder to USE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! I just came across your blog by typing Quilt Blogs into Google, and I am glad I did. I love the application there on your iPad. What fun and you had such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only you would have done roses in stripes -- very nice. And definitely leave the leaf/leaves. Now can you do one of those bouquets so beloved where some of the flowers were definitely on the downhill side....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunner, Terry, and yes I think (imvho) that the leaves need to be added. Colourwise it restores the balance from top-heavy to 'just right'. There is a naturally red-striped rose called 'Red Tiger' which could have been the subject for this lovely fabric still-life. I'm not very knowledgeable about computer design work, is the Sketchclub app OK for beginners?? Val E, Wales UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:08 AM

    fabulous
    Catherine
    in Scotland we need something to cheer us up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:31 AM

    It is wonderful, and so "you". Yea stripes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. all I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love this, Terry. It's so fresh and exciting, yet it's also unmistakably your work. And yes to the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You encourage me to TRY to learn how to use the computer for something other than this. I love the vase of roses.
    And yes to the leaves. For balance. And the background is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! And glad to see you making something just because, just for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Sketchclub is good for beginners. Look at the tutorials and play around to get the feel...

    ReplyDelete
  17. you could get real and add a rose that is slightly drooping and a few of the petals amongst those leaves on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, add the leaves. This way there is something else for your eyes to explore, then wander around, and look at other design elements on the piece. It's so much more captivating with the additional leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE watching the process! Yes, add the leaves! I am always amazed at your work. I am enjoying the process as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, absolutely keep the fallen leaves! They add an extra spot of interest to the composition. I love this process - I think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool to see how you designed this. I'm a plaid/polka dot girl myself :) I like the leaves~

    ReplyDelete
  22. For whatever my opinion is worth, yes; keep the extra leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes,leaves. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Terry, add one leave and some red blossom leaves...perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely, add those leaves! What an interesting technique. Now, are you machine appliquing the fabric pieces? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would think a rose stem on the table would give a better color balance than the leaves... ah, I see AlinArt has suggested something similar. Very nice composition, and the stripes are great to add movement.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it's fun to do a piece 'just because' rather than to fit a topic, although I do find that sometimes can be stimulating too. The only thing I don't like is a deadline.
    I was interested to see your process. And you're right, roses may have been done before but your way is unique. I like your fabrics.
    I recognized the App which I use but never as a way to plan.from my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes! To the leaves, to the stripes, to all of it.

    ReplyDelete