Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Cabin Fever

It is winter here in Oregon. Crazy winter. Not like Portland winter—like winter winter. It actually started way back before Christmas with an ice storm that ripped through and, among other things, forced our STASH group to cancel our annual Christmas go-to-a-fancy-restaurant lunch. "Oh well," we said. "We will reschedule in January." So we did—for last week, on the day the huge, big amazing snowstorm arrived and shut down the city. Then it got so cold that the snow didn't budge until today. We have rescheduled our lunch for February, knowing full well some weather calamity is sure to materialize on that very day. My basket of Christmas gifts for my friends is looking a little forlorn at this point.

The snow was beautiful. Really, it made me very happy for a day or two there.



















I stayed in pajamas 'til noon, drinking coffee and watching birds at the feeder, then waded through the crystalline snow to the studio every afternoon. I have gotten so much done this past week! Unfortunately I am working on a project that I cannot show in progress, but I can't resist giving you a tiny little peek at a tiny little part.













That's my doodle-y stitching, which I wanted, not black, and slightly thicker than usual, so experimentation got me to the idea of stitching from the back with double bobbin threads. Believe it or not, it worked and I love the look of the combined variegated threads I'm using. So, it has been a productive snowed in week! But cabin fever set in a couple days ago, and I was sick of crusty, icy snow and cold feet and not being able to leave my house, and, oh, did I mention that back somewhere on one of those icy days my son slipped on the ice and broke his arm? And my darling grandchildren had missed something like seven days of school and were at each other's throats, driving their parents batty— so the change in weather today was cause for celebration. It has warmed up and raining buckets, melting all that snow. The creek is overflowing and they're worried about the rivers, but I got out to the SAQA meeting this morning—the first event in a month that wasn't cancelled due to weather. So good to talk to others, not my family! So good to drive without fear for my life! And everyone went back to school and work.

I know. This weather is nothing. Many of you are still buried in snow and will be for weeks to come. Some of you are huddling, in the cold, by the light of your iPads, waiting for the electricity to come back on. But we are delicate Oregon flowers who rarely have to experience winter and we nearly died! I don't know how you do it out there in Minnesota...






And the creek keeps rising...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Terry, I saw this and thought of you! Laura x http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2017/01/snow-birds-portland-walker-berg/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:29 AM

    I guess being snowed in is a good thing for creativity!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 AM

    Terry, would you elaborate on how or what you were careful of when you wound the bobbin with two threads. And, how does it cut down on how far you can quilt with your bobbin? Like the idea and the results you got!

    Nena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have LOVED the snow! Give me a weekend to stock up and I'd do it all again. LOL In the past decade I haven't gotten even one snow day off work, and now there's been three in one winter! Sadly I was sick for part of it last week, but still! A snow day! Someday I'd like to see how long it would take before cabin fever sets in for me. I was never really stranded as I have an AWD Outback with snow tires and was happily trundling out to the store, my work, the movies, etc. No one will believe me, but it's fun to drive in snow, and I already miss the cold and that pretty blue sky. It's beautiful, partly because it's rare and partly because it usually hardly lasts a day.

    What was actually tiresome was all the complaining. So many people could not get their minds around how this was an amazingly rare event, Portland Metro area does NOT have infrastructure for this, and no, no one's gonna plow your residential street. And no, we're not going to use salt and corrode the sewer pipes and the whole waste water treatment plant so everything needs replacing. Good heavens! I think we are all so used to nothing affecting us in our urban environment that we simply don't know how to handle it when it does. Probably I am over-sensitive since I work for the city, but seriously. I knew various retirees (not you, and I'm not naming names) that had full pantries, electricity, water (my main broke and I was out for a day) and no job to go to complaining about how some snow state back east took care of snow better (duh!), where was their mail, where were their amazon and Instacart deliveries, blah blah blah. My goodness but they'd have made poor pioneers!

    All my sewing meetings got cancelled too. Let's cross our fingers for February!!

    ReplyDelete