Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Fusing questions and comments

What nice comments and emails I got following the last post! Thank you. A few more comments and answers to some questions:


4 First, obviously this fusing method works well for some kinds of work and not at all for others. It is not, for example, practical if you like to spontaneously cut from large pre-fused fabrics. While I have done fairly good sized pieces using this method, I am always working from a drawing that I can trace.

4 Pat asked what brand of pastel pencils I use. I use mostly Conte brand. You can find them online at good old Dick Blick http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/17/ As Kathy, so eloquently said, "cha-ching". They are about $1.68 per pencil. You can start with a small set, then add the colors you need. I think I now have all 48 colors, but I have purchased them mostly several at a time. I have also bought some Faber-Castelli pastel pencils. They have some colors that Conte doesn't have. I especially like their Payne's gray. Also available from Dick Blick. http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/46/ They are a little less expensive ($1.29 each) than the Conte, but the pastel "lead" is not as thick. I buy both brands locally at Art Media or Columbia Art Supply.

4 Pat also questioned how permanent the workable fixative is. It is permanent. The "workable" part means you can add layers of pastel on top, but you can't get rid of what you've done once you've sprayed it. It also says it is acid free and archival. By the way, before you spray you can quite easily brush off pastel that you want to get rid of. You can probably see an old blue toothbrush in my tin of pastel pencils. That's what it is for.

4 Where to buy LiquiFuse online? I've never bought it online, but a quick Google should turn up some sources—hey, I'm not going to do everything for you!

4 You are certainly welcome to try this method out and use it if you like it. I posted the © at the bottom as I do not wish anyone to copy my photos and/or instructions and pass them off as their own. I worked pretty hard putting this together!

I'd love to hear from you if you try this method. Was it successful for you?

P.S. "Stone Lantern," 2003, above (13" x 28") was the first piece I made using this fusing technique.

7 comments:

  1. Thawt stone lantern is wonderful - when I first brought up your post, I thought it was a photo. I have my fish parts liquifused. got to work on the background today. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Hi Terry,
    I was wondering how you got your black lines on your quilts. Now I know! Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try it out sometime and let you know. Your blog is one of a couple I read frequently. I enjoy reading and seeing what you are doing. By the way, I'm still interested in your little birdie on the bowl when he flies home from the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stone Lantern is awesome. Are you using oil or ordinary pastels? I use oil pastels a lot and find they don't need fixing, wash well and don't alter the hand of the fabric very much. Not so its noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Oh, Terry, at first glance I thought the stone lantern was a lovely watercolor! Really impressive piece. I'm going looking for Liquifuse tomorrow. Great tutorial; I can hardly wait to try your method out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found LiquiFuse at Michaels Crafts today, just as an fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece here is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Dear Terry,

    Thanks so much for your post on QA and instructions and info on the Liqui-Fuse. You have solved a construction problem that I have been struggling with off and on for years. I feel like a free woman! Off I go to create all those stuck ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete