Thursday, May 25, 2006

Small, I mean really small, work

It is a lot of fun to experiment with small pieces. I had this idea that I wanted to try doing some work that uses partial images. How much of something do you have to see for it to be recognizable? Composition becomes more important than ever. Negative space is important. Representation becomes more like abstract composition.

These pieces are each about 5" square. The top one, which is my favorite of the two, by the way, is a little section of the drawing that I used for my piece called "Rice Bowl and Bird". The pear came out of my head. (Not that there is an actual pear in there, but the memory of a pear!)

Sometimes it is really nice to be able to work out an idea in just a few hours from start to finish. I'm looking forward to trying a few more of these.

I think these might be nice mounted on a larger square of mat board.

9 comments:

  1. Terry,those are really REALLY nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little gems, really. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. terry, these are wonderful, but i've been trying to figure out your colour palette for awhile now...there is something unique about your selections of fabric that I've always admired...in trying to describe the effect it has on me, I'll say calming but very deep, inwardly provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bowl, too. And I always love a pear! These turned out very nicely. Hey, is Liqui-fuse sending you a case - they are now referring people to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, Terry! The Rice Bowl is my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:22 AM

    I haven't visited in a while and then I do and look what's here! These are so lovely. Your quilts look so much like illustrations. I love the simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:50 PM

    I don't have to tell you how much I like the rice bowl...but I will anyway-it's lovely. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about your work but it just speaks to me.It's very much like a fine illustration and looks drawn and painted rather than created out of fabric. Whatever it is-I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The attention to detail and the subtle colors are beautiful.

    I assume that you have your own quilting studio. Will have to stop back here and get acquainted!

    ReplyDelete