Seems like ages ago I promised to show you how I solved the problem of the floating irises. Then life intervened and I have not had a chance to get back to the irises until yesterday. For the past two days I have been finding a little time here and a little time there to quilt it.
But, back to the floating irises— When I tried some solutions in Photoshop, the one I liked best was the idea of adding some "dirt" around the bases of the stems. When I started working on the actual piece, I added even more than I had added in the digital image. I think it grounds them. They have finally landed and float no more. You may notice that I added a couple more leaves to soften the strong diagonal a little and push into the border strips.
I just finished the quilting and will block it and square it up and add a back. Then I will probably do a little more quilting to anchor it to the back. I like the way the quilting on the back looks—almost like a line drawing. But that will soon be covered, never to be seen again.