Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oregon Grape

I made this postcard to send to a friend who has been undergoing chemotherapy, just to say that I am thinking about her and sending my love. The subject is Oregon Grape which is not really a grape at all, but rather a bush with beautiful holly-like leaves and dark blue berries. In the spring it has fluffy clusters of yellow flowers and in the fall the leaves turn beautiful mottled red and green.

Oregon grape is one of my favorite NW plants and is the official state flower of Oregon. The berries are edible but they don't taste very good. Years ago my Dad, who was an amateur wine maker, made wine from Oregon grapes. It tasted terrible. My mother said it tasted like she imagined wine made from mushrooms would taste. So we enjoy Oregon grape for its beauty, not as a food or wine source!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:02 PM

    Beautiful card Terri; I hope it cheers your friend. My mom just moved to Oregon and her neighbor tried to convince her that Oregon Grapes were real grapes. She had the last laugh though as she canned grape jelly from her Concords and told him it was from the Oregon Grapes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry every new one of these that you make is my favourite! But this is my ABSOLUTE favourite :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for my Oregon State flower education. The post card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful card. I admire your technique. I've purchased some of the liquid thread but have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:19 AM

    How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Terrie, who'd a thunk it? I am searching for the recipe for Oregon Grape jelly and found you.
    Thanks!
    Dick Stentz

    ReplyDelete