Friday, January 04, 2008

Blog friends in the real world

I have been reading Kristin LaFlamme's blog for a couple of years now. We have exchanged artwork, but had never met face to face until today. Kristin lives in Germany, but has been visiting family in the US Northwest for the holidays. She's also a blog friend of Gerrie's, who I met through her blog and then she moved to Portland and she's my real-life in-person friend now. Following all that? Anyhoo—she and Gerrie set up a play-in-Gerrie's-studio date, for today, and invited me to come for lunch. Gerrie's daughter, Stephanie, was there also with her two darling children who seemed to be having a blast with Kristin's two darling children.


Kristin has been making a series of quilts with "roots" images and she wanted to have Gerrie help her make some thermofax screens for silkscreening. Above she is creating a root design by dropping India ink on a sheet of paper then blowing it around, using a straw to direct the air.


Gerrie made the screen with her magic machine and Kristin printed several test pieces.


Here's one of her finished prints. Cool, eh? I can hardly wait to see what she does with it.

What a nice day!

4 comments:

  1. What a great time you must have had! (I SOOOO wish I'd been there!) Glad you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what fun! Lucky you! I must admit I'm a bit jealous here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Terry, for taking time out of your day to come join us! I am so glad to have finally gotten to meet you face to face. Thanks also for the bird (I think it's beak is "just right"). Hopefully it will spur me on to finish up a household project or two, so I actually have a "decor" for the bird to coordinate with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little birds.

    I am also intrigued by your silk screening. I've done traditional etching on paper and I'm a hard core quilter. Can you refer me to any site/books/suppliers where I can look into silkscreening on fabric. Screens, paint, techniques? Any tips appreciated.

    ReplyDelete