Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Progress on both homefronts

One of the things we need to do soon is to paint the stairwell in our current house. It is one of those areas that is so hard to paint that it has been neglected. I got a good start by dismantling my collection of sewing stuff that has been on shelves on the landing. For awhile it was fun collecting old sewing notions and tools, then they got to be hard to deal with—well dusty. And who likes to dust a bazillion little things? Not me. I've decided to sell the majority on eBay. I've divided them into two lots. I could probably make more money if I sold some of them separately, but frankly I just want them gone.


I'm turning over a new leaf and clearing things out of my life. But I decided I can't yet give up my old scissor collection. Notice I didn't call them "vintage" or "antique", though a few qualify. Most are just old scissors and I love the way they look hanging on a wall. They will probably go in my studio once it gets built. I counted 53 pairs when I took them down.


Shelves are gone. Nail holes are filled. The wall is ready to paint.



Things are happening at the new place too.

Ray is assembling the kitchen cabinets in the livingroom. We got the cabinets at IKEA. I think I am going to love them. They are highly rated by Consumer Guide and very economical. As you can see the insides are laminated particle board, but the doors and drawer fronts are solid oak. After Ray assembles them the IKEA contractor will install them.

And this was the really exciting development today. The tile layers got started.

10 comments:

  1. That's a lot of scissors!

    The floor looks great.I'm excited to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor is going to be gorgeous and I'm starting to like the dark cabinets more and more. Maybe I'm just tired of the oak I've had for years. Got scissors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I had a thing for scissors! The floor is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to think there are people in this world who ask, "Why would anyone need more than one pair of scissors?" You have me beat by a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put a live picture link to your remodeling projects on my blog today. I'm so inspired by looking at your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is getting exciting, Terry, but I am still sad that you are moving farther away from me. It is beginning to feel imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, kitchen season. Love that floor, although I am going to wood. We get started next month; I hope it finishes before my big travel/teach season gets underway. IKEA cabinets are terrific - but my husband is not a DIY'er, so that was out. It's exciting to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those scissors are so great! And I love the look of the tiles and cabinets, it is going to be such a warm inviting kitchen! Can't wait to see what you decided about the tile border above the counters! Those little birds you made would look adorable in the kichen (although I suspect they would also become dust gatherers!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tile floor is going to be amazing! Is is a terra-cotta color? What color grout are you going to use? I am also excited to see your IKEA cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom and I are collecting scissors we would like to know what kind u recommend. My mothers email is jennifer.7517@live.com if you have a little time to give me a few tips. Thank You for your time and the picture

    ReplyDelete