Monday, March 23, 2009

Busy Book

Awhile back my daughter mentioned that she had been looking for a book for Sofia that had buttons, hooks, zipper, etc. and had not had any luck and this planted an idea. I decided to make such a book as a special birthday gift for my granddaughter. It turned out to be a big project, starting with the design, shopping for all the parts, then rather time-consuming construction. But it was well worth it. She loves it and I am quite pleased with it. Were I to make another I might make a few changes, but all in all it works like I wanted it to.
Some of the tasks are easy. Some are challenging for a two-year-old, but the idea was for her to learn and for it to be of interest for more than just the present. The design is all my own and I limited it to things that open and close.

Even the cover has a closure—big wooden bead/toggle thingy and an elastic loop.

This first page is one I would do differently. The decorative stitching is messy. The varying thickness of the edge, plus the sewn-in zipper made it really difficult to stitch neatly.
Eyelet lacing and bow tying. I'm sure it will be awhile before she can do this.

Big snap. The heart comes out of the little purse, but is permanantly attached with a piece of cord.


Velcro

Button. The star resides in the pocket.

Hooks

My sewing machine can be programmed to make words. This is the first time I've ever used that function.

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:05 PM

    Terry, I love your book! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:17 PM

    Wow. Mom, that is a great idea for a sofie book! I'm sure she will get a lot of mileage out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible. Exactly what a busy book should be - and the added surprises make this stand so far above anything one could purchase. Very, very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made one of those books for my kids when they were little but it got loved to death. I'm sure this one will too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its bright and cute and wonderful! Great job Grammie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book is wonderful ... and so is the grandmother who created it. Oh, the fun that's in store for you and Sophie throughout the years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the little surprises! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great gift. A wonderful way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fabulous. Sofia is a lucky, lucky girl. If only I sewed more...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made a similar book about 25 years ago for my children. I love projects like this one. And I especially love your book!

    Now I want some grandchildren to pamper with handmade items like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yow! Will you be my grandma?

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwwww....what a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How neat!
    My sewing machine also has the programmable word function and I use it a lot. When the nursing home where my Mom resides did her laundry, I labeled all of her clothing with my sewing machine. Now, however, I have the honor of doing her laundry, but at least I don't confuse her clothes with ours! LOL
    What a wonderful grandma you are Terry!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such an adorable book! I remember having one of these when I was a girl but I have yet to make one for my one kids :) Shame on me! You did a great job on all the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect gift! It will be a treasured heirloom for her I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Terry, that is wonderful! A perfect gift and something Sofia will treasure long after she's learned to do all the wonderful doo-dads! You are a great grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan Riley1:37 PM

    Christine-what a wonderful present! I am sure it will take Sophia years to EVER notice crooked stitches. My first grandchild is due in late September and feel like I'm already chained to my machine. :) Susan R

    ReplyDelete
  21. great idea to make unusual toys for kids

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:22 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for this fantastic tutorial, it is truly inspiring and I shall be making one for my little grandson for when he comes to visit. If mine is even half as nice as yours - it will still be a joy to share it with him. Thank you again,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Terry, what a wonderful book for your little Sophia. I can see what you mean about the zipper page.

    ReplyDelete