Monday, March 30, 2009

Windows

Windows. That's the theme of the 12 x 12 work this round and it will be revealed in a couple of days, but that's not what this is about. Ever since we moved into this house I have been looking at the beautiful new windows we had put in and wondering what, if anything, to do to them.

It is tempting to do nothing. I love the look of them bare and we live far back from the road, with no one to see in, so it isn't a privacy issue. But at night bare windows are so stark. So black.

I don't like curtains much. They can be pretty, but are always dusty (in my house at least) and we are a family of allergics who don't need dusty. Most are too fussy for my taste. When we bought the house there were draperies, with heavy rods and liners over the windows. I think they were custom made and probably expensive. They were shiny and polyester and had a very strange, to my mind, wide blue band across the bottom. I thought they were hideous.

So I've been pondering. I like shades, but I'm tired of mini blinds. The wooden blinds are nice, but dust catchers too. Really, my favorite window coverings are bamboo shades. Go figure. I love the way they filter the light, especially on a hot, sunny day.


Now, I just need to decide if I need to go get a couple more to go over the sliding doors. I don't think so. Less is more.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02 PM

    Nice choice! Elegant, simple and unintrusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like. We decided to leave our sliding door uncovered. It really is a pain to do the doors unless you do verticals (ugh). I need to get some sleep, I have another rough day in the dye pots tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good solution, it looks great! Yes, large windows are wonderful at day, but I don't like the reflexions in the glass at night; if absent-minded, I see a motion in the angle of my eye and feel disturbed. -- I agree: the sliding doors don't need to be covered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:51 AM

    Those do look great. We did go with miniblinds in our home here in Spokane. I wanted to leave the back windows clear but I too found that the black of night was a bit disturbing. We live in suburbia and even though the back is uphill it is possible someone could come in through the gate and see in. Not that there is much to see but just the idea that eyes might be out there.....
    For the front there was no question as it faces the street and is pretty close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them and the bamboo is much more easily cleaned. We're up to here with allergy issues as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love bamboo shades! that's what i have in my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great. I can't stand windows uncovered at night - too many nightmares as a child, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect solution. Another bamboo blinds fan here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problems - the dark of night, the dust and the heat of summer. I've recently run across a catalog from SmithNoble.com and they have pleated shades that can be opened from the top or from the bottom. I think this might be the solution for my windows. I don't have so many windows that it will break the bank. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There couldn't be a better solution. Your home looks so inviting and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like bamboo shades...Bamboo shades are very elegant window coverings that are designed especially for keeping out sun light, and for providing shade indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this window too and would be hard put to cover it over - I'm anti-curtain too, much to my neighbors horror, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:51 AM

    You have a beautiful home.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete