Thursday, August 26, 2010

How small things get big

I know this is not a very good photo. It was taken by setting my camera on a ledge, aiming it at Gerrie, setting the timer and quickly plopping myself into the chair. It is not a good picture, but it is documentation. Another step on a journey. What we are doing is sitting at my dining room table and reviewing the final proofs of the Twelve by Twelve book., which, by the way, will be called "Twelve by Twelve, the International Art Quilt Challenge." It is being published by Lark Books and is due to be released in March, 2011.

When I was asked to participate in the Twelve by Twelve challenge group nearly 3 years ago none of us had an inkling of what was to come. A book? That wasn't even on our radar. It was just something fun to do. It was fun. It is fun! Spread around the world, the twelve of us got to know each other through our work, our blogs, the Twelve by Twelve blog and gradually we began to see that this might be more than we thought. Maybe an exhibit. Maybe a magazine article. Maybe...............................................a book? 

I think we all giggled a little bit about the idea, but the idea didn't go away and eventually someone said, "what do we have to lose? Let's see if any publishers are interested." The first one we approached wasn't. The second one was. And here's where I think we were really lucky. The people at Lark love our book. I think they love us! Our editor is as excited and enthusiastic as we are. Heck, what's not to love? I have to say this is the best group! (but it just as easily could have not been) Everyone has done their part. With patience. With humor—especially humor. And with respect. No nagging, no struggles, no divas.

I often wonder if this could have happened any other way, than the way it did. Could someone have said to themselves, "I'm going to assemble just the right group of twelve women for this project and we are going to make 144 quilts over a two-year period, and no one is going to drop out or make crummy work and we are going to post them on a blog and it is going to appeal to a lot of people and then we are going to write a book." Nope. I don't see that happening. I guess some things are that well-planned and actually happen, but I think this happened the only way it could have. Luck and serendipity, and kind of like eating an elephant. One bite at a time.

13 comments:

  1. Serendipity indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way it is: good things happen to good people who make great effort to promote their work. Congratulations, and I can't wait to buy your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! ...and when can we pre-order? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the book. As I told you last fall, I feel like I have gotten to know you all through your work. It is fun to follow what the 12 of you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations for all the good things that have come together for the group. It has been an inspiration to watch 12x12 since the beginning. I am sure the book will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you documented this with a picture! I am so grateful that you and Gerrie did this and I can't wait to see the result.

    And I am giggling over "how small things get big" as over this same period of time, this seems to have happened to my waistline, too. I guess it's that elephant bite-by-bite explanation there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I like that I can see a magnifying glass sitting there. You guys are thorough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I used that magnifying glass! I used to have a nifty little loupe that I used for press checks, but I couldn't find it so I pulled out the magnifying glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You said it all perfectly Terry, we are a great group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those of us not in the group are envious yet joyful for your success and camaraderie. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hildemorin8:14 AM

    Congratulations! looking forward to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loverly, and congratulations all around.

    I was just going to say "send me a note on this for the CFG newsletter" when I realized that you'll be responsible for getting a mention in. Heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It IS truly amazing how things have worked out over the last three years. I can't wait to see our finished book. I'm still amazed that we'll have a book!

    ReplyDelete