Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The waiting has ended

Marco Andres, our grandson, was born yesterday, August 16. He is, in our humble opinion, perfect.


Everyone is doing well. Sofia is embracing her role as a big sister and the adults in the family have fallen into that helpless infatuation that infants inspire. Amazing, isn't it? We always think our baby is the most beautiful we have ever seen. All part of some grand plan, I have no doubt. We love our children so profoundly as they enter the world, pure, innocent and vulnerable.

I had to laugh at the nurse who was taking care of Emily yesterday. She said, as a maternity ward nurse, she has seen thousands of newborns and her own son was the "strangest looking healthy, normal baby I have ever seen!" She said she asked for an assessment from neonatal experts to be sure he was truly OK. She laughed and said, "of course I adored him anyway and he is now quite handsome!" I think her professional experience with newborns was a liability in her own birth experience.

Birth is, at the same time, the most incredible, profound experience and the most everyday. I remember thinking, after my first child was born, "why didn't anyone tell me it was like this?" And, of course, everyone had told me, but you don't really get it until it is your experience. I think adopting must be similar. I can only imagine that being handed a child, with whom you will share a life and a bond from that day forward must be as surreally, stupifying as seeing the child you have just given birth to and having that same realization. You can't really prepare yourself enough for the reality of these things. And, until you are there, you don't fully grasp the grandparent connection either. My friend Priscilla has a great grandchild and she said, "I love that baby so much it scares me." As contradictory as that statement sounds, I understand it.

I have only known you for a day, little Marco, but I already adore you.

PS  He looks a lot like his sister did when she was born. Why was that such a surprise? For some reason I expected him to look different.

23 comments:

  1. Like like like like like like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful gift - congratulations to all. And welcome, Marco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a beautiful baby.
    Congratulations to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and welcome to Marco Andres.
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks great, indeed. Resembles his Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Terry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Terry! He is a handsome baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big congratulations to the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Born on my daughter's birthday. She was a lovely, sweet baby. Marco is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! And he will turn out to be a wonderful man. How do I know?? Well my own sweet hubby shares the same birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marco is a beautiful (handsome) baby. Welcome to the world.
    I've been checking your blog quite often to see if your grandson arrived.
    Congratulations to all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Babies are such a nice way to begin people. LOL
    Congrats to you and your family. Your grandson is gorgeous. Gramma know best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking about new babies in the family recently as I met the new additions to my family. Mr C always thinks it is silly about how we start saying who a baby looks like. But, I think there is something in our DNA that tugs at us as we look into the face of a new member of the tribe. Can't wait to meet Marco. You must be very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not at all surprised that Marco looks so much like his sister. I saw the resemblance (from the pictures at least) right away. They share so much DNA. And since Sofia was the cutest baby ever (surpassing even my adorable babies) and is still the world's cutest kid, I wholeheartedly agree that Marco is, and will continue to be, and absolutely beautiful child. Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! He is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! He is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully said. We were looking at the pictures on FB last night and Bill was absolutely smitten with Sofia. The little guy is pretty awesome too.

    Give them all hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful news-beautiful boy. I'm so happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mazel tov from England! He's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beinvenidos al pequeno milagro! Que te vaya bien en esta vida! Te deseo salud, amor y pesetas and more hugs than you, dearest Marco, will probably want in about 12 years!

    Terry....what JOY JOY JOY! Congrats to all!

    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  22. He's just lovely! I know you must be thrilled with him and relieved that all went so well.
    Hugs, kisses and warmest congratulations!

    xo

    ReplyDelete