Thursday, January 31, 2013

I could design a quilt in my sleep



I am not a good sleeper. It usually takes me a long time to go to sleep and then, often I wake up for long or short periods through the night. I read and that helps. Or sometimes I try to relax by designing quilts in my head until I finally nod off. I actually get some usable ideas from time to time.

Last night was really bad. I could not sleep for the longest time and I lay awake thinking about what I might do next in this series of architectural quilts that I am working on. Finally I fell asleep, but the design process did not stop. I continued to dream design. I considered so many ideas, all building on the Latin American cities and architecture I have been working on. At last I hit upon, what seemed like a brilliant insight. My dream self realized that the buildings don't matter! The art is all about the layering of structures—structures with walls and depth and height and a sense of weight and presence. And I knew that the best subjects for portraying all this were not buildings. They were pots and pans! And I began cutting pots and pans from fabric and positioning them on a background. Yes. It was the perfect piece. But wait, something was missing. I studied and puzzled until I knew that a carrot hanging from the handle of one of the pots would finish it. I stood back and said, "yes, that carrot really makes it pop." Then I woke up and lay in the dark wondering what that was all about. I made a little sketch, because I have been thinking about it all day.

Here is a peek at a real quilt, in progress.


 This is just a part of the whole, unquilted and unfinished, so please don't Pinterest it! (Yes, I see where people have pinned photos I posted of work in progress—at least wait until it's finished to steal pin it.)  Oddly, now that I have posted this photo I can see similarities between the pots and pans and the buildings, even a domed lid. And look at that tree behind the big, red dome. That is totally an upside down carrot. And it (and another like it) was the last thing I added to the composition, because it just seemed to need it. That tree was not in the original plan. Hunh.

I hope I can sleep tonight. No dreams, please.

12 comments:

  1. Great post. Enjoyed the read at 2:45 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pots are "very Patrick Caulfield"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the carrot is a necessary part of this design. A little whimsy sometimes makes things work. Your night owl friend @ 3am - Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I think your dream quilt would make the beginnings of an interesting series that would be popular in the kitchen!

    I usually dream what would be wonderful films or television plots. I hardly ever watch TV! What is that about? :-)
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:57 AM

    Me thinkest your brain works very hard 24-7. That's probably why you are so creative and do such beautiful work. However, you do need a good sleep and I hope you get it. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, you need dreams, and obviously carrots. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was awake thinking about a 30 year friendship. The good times. The bad. And disturbed that my unconscious mind was trying to send me a message--but what?

    I am liking the new work very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As women buidlings and pots and pans are both important to us. I like both of these ideas. I have designed some outstanding things in that dream state. Unfortunately I haven't remembered most of them. Or maybe that is fortunately. Anyway, I really like both your buildings and your pots and pans. The carrot is just the right touch. (both the green and the orange ones. )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dream! (And the new piece too.) I've also designed in my sleep occasionally, and I wish I had dreams like that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be interested in knowing more of your thoughts on Pinterest. I am just beginning to use Pinterest for my own benefit, as a way to organize my ideas and inspirations. I won't ever be one of those people with huge numbers of pins and tons of followers. But I am interested in being sensitive about reposting and wonder what is appropriate use of others images. Why does it feel like it is stealing from you when you are credited? and what's wrong with pinning a work in progress as opposed to the finished piece? Maybe you never realized that your photos are art images also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I actually like Pinterest. I wrote a blog post about my feelings regarding it just awhile back. http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-two-cents-worth-on-subject.html

      My joking use of the word "steal" was really just being silly and commenting on how a lot of other people seem to feel. I am chagrined to see my unfinished work on Pinterest simply because it is never identified as something "in progress" and I would rather people see the finished piece if there is no explanatory context.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying. I read your earlier post and I agree with you.

      Delete