Friday, May 31, 2013

Lucky find



Since I bought my new sewing machine I have been working on a way to have both my machines side by side so both are easily available and I can easily switch between them. I built an addition to my existing work table so that it extends around the corner of my studio sewing area. What I needed was a table of a lower height that the machine, itself, could sit on and snug up against the higher table. My other machine sits on a folding sewing table that my mother had. It is just the right height, but it is a relic of another age and such tables no longer seem to be available. I was pretty sure I was going to have to build something myself.

I ran out to buy paint for the bathroom today and on my way passed a thrift store I like.  I don't know why I decided to stop and see if they had anything that might work. To my utter amazement there was a little folding sewing table very similar to the one I already had. Perfect! Now the two machines sit in the corner at an angle to each other. My chair swivels around readily from one to the other. When I got them positioned I could see that there was a triangular hole where the table corners meet that was going to be a black hole that scissors and tools and thread would all readily drop right into.


So I made a little quilted tray that sits over the hole (with a piece of cardboard under it spanning the two tables) to hold my little scissors and tweezers and screw driver and seam ripper. I think it will solve the problem.


And then I sat down and quilted on the big piece. The new machine is a quilting MACHINE!




2 comments:

  1. How cool is that! Lucky find, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me. That is all.

    ReplyDelete