Saturday, July 19, 2014

Black Thread

I am loving this black thread work. I am using Sulky cotton in both 12 and 30 weights. I especially love the boldness of the 12 wt, but it is a little temperamental in the machine. The 30 weight is almost as bold and not a problem, so I did all the added plants and rocks with that one. I added the rocks and the big cactus and decided the shadows under the roofline and brick feature were not working, so I picked all that work out. Hate doing that. Ugh. But after finishing and trimming the edges I decided I was done. 


And then I decided it wasn't done. 

What you don't see in the photo are wrinkles in the white of the building. And evidence of the black thread shadows that I picked out. Subtle, but it bothered me. So today I added stitching to those unstitched areas of building and sky. It's better, and now truly finished.  It is small—about 11" x 14". I think I will mount it on stretched canvas. 

La Casa de Chela

I love getting a surprise in the mail. This book arrived out of the blue today. It is the catalog for the SAQA show, Redirecting the Ordinary. I will have a piece in this show. 


Here is my page spread in the book. I confess I am always thrilled to see my work in print. And I have a special fondness for this piece. 


It has been a good day. 

10 comments:

  1. I love this piece. I think it may be one of my favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:14 AM

    I am so impressed with the "drawing" you do with machine quilting. It is so very effective and quilty. Congratulations on your terrific entry in the La Casa de Chela show. You deserve to be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I lov this! The additional stitching does look great. Congrats on the photo spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Terry, and congrats on being in the SAQA exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely piece, it makes me want to enter in and explore. The SAQA catalogue looks as good as ever, congratulations on being included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the extra stitching actually sends the building to the front and the sky into the background.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your SAQA entry! Being "in print" in a book somehow makes things really 'official'. I wonder how the next generation will mark that. They don't seems to do books. And stuff that you get rid of with the key seems less meaningful. At least to me. I like your changes to the shading. Have you tried using a rubber brush to get the remaining thread fuzz off? sometimes that works a charm for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry, Thank you for being so generous in showing your process. I learn so much by seeing each stage of your work and love what you do. Your digital drawings are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post so much. I too learn a lot from your works in progress. You did have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shirt quilt was for Redirecting the Ordinary! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete