Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Etal


Several months ago I was given a small bag of scraps of a new material called ETAL, which is described as "real metal on a textured, flexible substrate". These samples were handed out at a guild meeting with the invitation to experiment with the material

I made the three small hangings using the ETAL for the leaves and dragonfly motifs. You can probably see that the material comes in different colors--silver, gold, copper, green gold, etc.

Interesting stuff to work with. It cuts like a card stock, but is stronger than paper--rather like non-woven interfacing with a metallic surface. It cuts easily and can be sewn through easily. When I ran out of the scraps I was given I was able to find a couple of sheets of it at a scrapbooking store. There is also a web site: http://www.etalcraft.com/product.htm

I made the three pieces specifically for a show at the Portland Japanese Garden http://www.japanesegarden.com/ that was held in July. I sold all three.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this material. It one of the items to order on my ever growing list but I haven't read or heard how it handles in quilting. Do you need to wear gloves when cutting it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really lovely and very effective. Thanks for the link too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to wear gloves, and it cuts easily with regular scissors, though I don't use my good sewing scissors--don't know if it will dull them or not. It sews easily, but it is quite stiff, so I have mainly just stitched around the outside edges with a narrow zigzag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Utterly beautiful...a perfect fit for the Japanese Gardens, too. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classically beautiful! I wish they could be viewed larger and in more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I love the grid design and the composition. How big were they? Congratulations on selling them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Fabulous! Any chance that we could see a close-up of the etalled portions?

    ReplyDelete