Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fabric Art - faces



I have been making quilts for a long time. I have made a few bed sized quilts, but mostly I make quilts to hang on the wall. In the beginning I made pretty traditional looking quilts, but little by little they have become more like real art!

Lately, I have been experimenting with some new ideas, so it seemed like a good idea to do some small pieces. (these are all in the range of 12" x 12") I wanted to try rendering some faces in fabric. I wanted to try using commercially printed fabrics and then painting on them. I wanted to experiment with unconventional colors on faces.
The lady with the green face was my first experiment. Then I decided to try a self portrait. My purple face portrait isn't very flattering, I guess. The purple face seems more harsh than the green face--I don't know why. When I told my husband it was a self portrait he said "no, that isn't your face, those aren't your eyes. But I think I recognize the bird!"

My dissatisfaction with the purple face led me to try a more natural color scheme for my next portrait. "Patron Saint" started out as a woman wielding scissors, but her beautific look made me think of icons and old paintings of saints, so she became a saint herself.
I really like that red fabric with the lighter red stars on it!

3 comments:

  1. Love your faces! They are truly charming. The purple non-self portrait doesn't seem harsh to me, but that may be because of the cheerful little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these faces are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these!! Especially patron saint. The look on her face...

    ReplyDelete