Sunday, September 25, 2005

Otavalo


Yesterday I showed you some of the weavings I have gotten in Ecuador, specifically at the market in Otavalo. Today I am showing you some pictures taken at the market itself.
The people of Otavalo have formed cooperatives for selling their goods all over the world and are the most affluent indigenous group in Ecuador because of both their beautiful work and probably, more importantly, their marketing skills. The outdoor market in Otavalo is the largest of its kind in South America. While they sell other goods such as jewelry and pottery and basketry, it is the weaving that is so spectacular.

Clearly most of the goods are marketed to tourists and we have seen the styles change over the past six years, but I am always knocked out by the richness of the color and the graphic quality of the designs. The last time we were there (this past May) I saw the wonderful masks and did not buy one, but had to have a photo. Aren't they fabulous?

1 comment:

  1. I so love those mask! I would love to have a couple

    ReplyDelete