Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Landmark—Domes

I decided I wanted to finish the edges of the Domes quilt with piping. I took the piece, along with a sample of the piping I made, to my small group last week to get their opinion. They liked the piping, but someone said, "how about the corners?" I assured them that I thought it would turn the corners just fine. I sewed the piping on and, guess what? It really didn't turn those corners fine. It really rounded them off and I didn't like that so much.

Boy, I hate taking things apart, especially when I am in the home stretch and so close to being finished. I let it hang on the the wall for a couple of days and tried to talk myself into liking those rounded off corners. No go.

So I picked the old piping off, I went to the fabric store and bought some narrower cord and came back and made narrow piping. Much better. Now it is finished, though I may come up with some interesting hanging rod for it.

Yeah, yeah—there's a lesson here. It goes something like, "if you don't fix the thing that just isn't quite right, you are never going to like the piece." Or maybe it's "when someone asks about the corners, they might be onto something."

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mena by not fixing that thing you don't like. One little "thing" you don't like will ruin the whole project for you. Good thing you fixed the piping so you could and will enjoy this beautiful piece of art work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ind of liked the rounded corners echoing the curves in the domes, but maybe it was too much. You are the one who needs to be happy with it and it looks great. Have a fun week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this quilt. If I don't fix something I can't sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the rounded corners went nice with the rounded domes, but anyway, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great with piping on the rounded corners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt just gets better and betterer. I kinda liked the rounded corners too, but you are the one who has to live with the results. Congratulations on finishing. Did you remember a label?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you've been busy, I love these buildings.

    ReplyDelete