Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Paisley

I love, love, love paisley prints. Always have. I can't even count how many paisley dresses and shirts I have owned over the years. Last week I found these great paisley paper napkins.


Did you know that the teardrop design that came to be known as paisley originated in India more than 2000 years ago? It got the name "paisley" in the early 1800's when Scottish soldiers serving in India brought back shawls in that design. The design was copied by weavers in the Scottish town of Paisley and they made the shawls quite popular.

Last week I showed you this pillow I made from a placemat. I think this paisley is quite fresh and modern looking.
I have to say I am especially fond of red paisley. These cushions are on my diningroom chairs.
About 14 years ago I bought a couple yards of this Liberty paisley print. It has been in my stash all these years waiting for just the right project. Today I cut into it for the first time. It is exactly the right thing for something I am working on. One of these days (soon) I will show you.


John Lennon owned a Rolls Royce that was painted with a paisley motif.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:14 AM

    Holy Smokes, you actually cut into a Liberty paisley! (and a particularly gorgeous one too!) WOW!! Can't wait to see what was special enough to warrant that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I love the paisley's too! I have to show you the two shawls that I purchased in Scotland a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love the napkins. Where did you get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you know that the Indian word that refers to paisley means mango - and that is where the shape came from.

    Jenny Bowker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another paisley lover! When I first started quilting i bought all the paisley I could find -- even the ugly ones (and some of them are! For a long time I put at least a little paisley in everythig I made. That frenzy has faded but I still have a lot, some of the prettiest are decorator fabrics.

    Maybe after the holidays I'll get back to them for something.

    ReplyDelete