Sunday, June 20, 2010

The object #5 Photo of my Dad

My dad standing outside the house in Wyoming. Start of the Depression. A shy, but happy child, no doubt dressed in his brothers' hand-me-downs. But he didn't seem to have a care in the world. Just look how worn those little boots are. I wonder what that thing is in his hand.

Of course I never knew the little boy, but I see the man already there. The smile, the way he squinted into the sun. You can see that same expression here. My Dad was such a good man. Such a good father. Such a good son. Such a good grandfather. Such a good friend.

I feel so sad to read about the difficult, troubled and sometimes abusive relationships people have with their fathers. With my Dad it was pretty simple. My Dad just loved us—would have done anything for us. Except for the one thing he couldn't do, which was stick around a little longer. He's been gone for 12 years and I've thought of him every single day.

9 comments:

  1. Seeing your Dad makes me think that our Dads were the same vintage. What a cutie. I too have wonderful memories but I wish all "kids" of yesterday, today and tomorrow could have loving thoughts of their parents and families. Happy Memory Day to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, indeed, to have had such a great dad and such good memories of your life with him. He was a looker, and I see him in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I see a bit of Sofie in that delightful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have your dads smile. Lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see where the good hair comes from, as well as the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely remembrance and how fortunate you are to have had such a great Dad. Take it from me, it made all the difference to your life and to the woman you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LeeF.4:30 PM

    You can really see the happiness in his expression. You are so lucky. And oh, that beautiful hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the curls. I have pictures of my father from the same era. He is also smiling despite the fact that times were very tough for everyone.

    (It looks like you now have multiple Barbaras commenting. Should I sign my comments VA?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before seeing this picture, I never realized how much Andy resembles you Dad. This picture is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete