Friday, September 17, 2010

Object #17 Hammock


At our old house there were two huge trees out in back that were the perfect distance apart for hanging a hammock between them. At the new house there are many, many trees, but no two have that perfect spacing for a hammock. And we have to have a hammock. We do.

Do you know the special joys of a hammock? Not one of those flat, flippy things with the rods across the ends. I'm talking about a simple affair—a length of sturdy fabric, preferable woven so that the warp threads can be braided into a sturdy rope at each end. Climb into one of these and you are in a cocoon. Add a small pillow, a slight breeze, a cool drink, a good book and you are in heaven.

As our yard progressed we pondered the hammock problem. We could have gotten one of those metal hammock stands, but there is something kind of goofy and, well, unnatural about those things. One day, several weeks ago Ray had to cut down a small tree. The next morning I saw the nice, straight trunk, stripped of all of its limbs, laying out by the creek and Ray digging a hole. I read his mind. I knew just where this was headed. He stood the tree trunk upright in the hole and poured concrete around it. I held it while he straightened it and braced it to keep it upright until the concrete cured. Now the hammock hangs next to the creek. That log section sits nearby to hold one's drink and book. The bare tree trunk looks a little stark, but we planted a clematis next to it and are encouraging it to wind its way up the bare trunk. Perhaps it needs a little art as well. I'm thinking...

This is one of several hammocks we bought in Ecuador. One still hangs at the old house. The photo only hints at how colorful and beautiful they are. Normally, in Ecuador they are hung between the pillars that support the porches on their houses. You buy them in the markets or at the source—the famous craft market in Otavalo. They are very inexpensive. That's where we have got them, along with rugs, wall hangings, clothes, ponchos, bags and textiles of all kinds.



Below is a favorite Ecuador photo—my friend, Muriel, and me, relaxing in the hammocks at Hostal La Luna, near Otavalo. It is one of the most peaceful, beautiful places in the world, in my humble opinion.

10 comments:

  1. I know what it is like. Just find it hard to hang it. No room! But if I have an opportunity, I feel in heaven, too. I've got a woven one of this kind, and they are marvellous. It would even allow to sleep in it at night if I take a diagonal position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I've always been uncomfortable in a traditional hammock. I feel squished. Kudos to your creative hubby, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely about the other kind of hammock--this kind is way better. They're just hard to find in the US...the one I currently have is a little short. But it's my favorite place to take a breath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the flippy kind of hammock and a stand since oddly enough, none of teh palm trees in our yard are placed correctly for maximum hammockifation. I'd love your solution if it were possible. I especially love the tree stump as drink table!! Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the one with the board, but I do say a hammock is heaven. When we had the bassett hounds you had to be careful as they would walk under the hammock and hit you in the bum with their noses. We called them "land sharks". MIL didn't take me seriously when I told her we about the "land sharks" and came flying out of a deep sleep when one of the hounds decided to give her a nudge. :-0.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminded me that growing up, we had a hammock in the backyard. But it was on one of those hammock stands, since we had no trees to hang it on. YOu're right - not the same.
    I feel relaxed just reading your post and seeing the picture of you and Muriel. Ahhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this. I have a hammock from Ecuador, Our exchange student brought if from there for us. I hung it between two pillars on our porch too. I took it down yesterday when the rain started. :-(

    I hope I can put it out again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite hammock experience was in one similar to yours, hung between two palms at the place we loved to stay on Kaua'i. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the reason we love hammocks is because they remind us of being in the womb. Where there's will, there's a way. Kudos to Ray for his ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't Otavalo magical? I was there in July, 1976, which on a summer program in Quito. We took a very early bus out, and started walking to stalls before sunrise, when there were no colors yet because there wasn't enough light. As the sunrise rose, the colors came to the textiles in the booths....wonderful!

    And hammocks....Caneel Bay (we could only afford it during off season, and that was back when we were both working!)...gentle sea breeze....aaaaahhhhh........

    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete