Monday, September 12, 2011

Progress report

Here is Ray working on the greenhouse part of the building. When we got the bid from the contractor we asked for his price if Ray were to do most of the work on the greenhouse. It saved some money, but I think Ray, who had done months of greenhouse research, really wanted to have a hand in building it. He has framed it and, today, drove to Salem to buy the polycarbonate glazing material that will cover this skeleton. In the upper triangle there in front you can see a greenhouse vent he installed. It is smart enough to open automatically when the interior of the greenhouse reaches a certain temperature, and then close when it needs to. There will be two glass doors as well.

Step inside the studio with me.


The sheet rock guys blew a fine texture onto the walls today. This is the main floor. The front door is just to the left. The little hidey hole under the stairs looks like a sewing machine storage hole to me.

I love to come down in the early evening after the workers leave to see what they have done during the day. After all the hammering and sawing it seems so quiet and the evening light gives it a softness that feels clean and welcoming.

I am so in love with this loft room. It is so much more than I expected. I can envision that corner where the round window is as the place where I will put my old rocking chair and my books. Maybe a small sofa in front of the window?

Looking down from the loft. The bathroom is there in the upper right. Tomorrow they are supposed to start the siding on the outside. People keep asking when it will be finished. Our answer is always, "It will be finished when it is finished." The workers are making steady progress and we are in no hurry. Well, technically, in no hurry. But I confess I am ready for it to be done.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to "discover" something magical beyond what you saw in all the planning. The loft seems like the perfect place for relaxation and reflection, not storage as you said was the original plan....and what if the sewing machine was under the window instead of a sofa????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terry, the studio is so beautiful. I love the round windows and the loft is wonderful place to relax.I liked Jeri's idea of the sewing table set below the window. I'll warn you though, mine is set up that way and I am easily distracted watching the birds in the winter. I am also envious of Ray's greenhouse. That is going to be so nice to be able to have things growing even in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,

    Love your evolving studio space, and defineately space under stairs look great for sewing machine storage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The studio is exciting but I am really liking Ray's greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Terry - it is really coming along!! It's not just a dream anymore, is it!!! I love it. You are going to have so much fun in that space! Enjoy the anticipation!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:21 PM

    It seems there is a race between your workers and Reva's to see who gets done first. Be glad you don't have to rebuild your stairs! :-) It looks just terrific. Are you going to add any color, or have it all white walls?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful! We are still getting a contractor - barely in the process at all, but I'm still excited. What kind of lighting are you going to do? How did you figure out where and how many electrical outlets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's coming along beautifully. You are going to have so much fun setting it up and using it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful space that it is becoming. I am sure when it is completed it will look beautiful. I also love the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete