Friday, September 09, 2011

Roof crosses

This summer my son-in-law went to Ecuador to visit his family for three weeks. When he asked if I wanted him to bring me something I knew immediately what I wanted.


In many Latin American countries many homes have crosses on the roof. It is partly a kind of spiritual protection for the house, partly a blessing for the house and mostly, I think, tradition. In Cuenca, the city where Carlos comes from they have a very distinctive style of cross, cut from metal. On one of our trips there a number of years ago I bought some very small ones that hang in my kitchen. As I wrote then, each is unique, though there are a variety of common motifs. I was interested to find that one buys these, not in an art venue in Cuenca, but in the housewares market. A household staple, as it were. The ones Carlos brought to me this time are very similar, with birds that I like very much. The larger one is about 18" tall, the smaller one about 9".

My thought was that since Carlos designed the studio we are building, I would love to have one of the Cuenca crosses on the roof. Now I am having second thoughts. Displaying a cross on the top might be misleading in several ways. First of all, it could be mistaken for a chapel of some kind. Secondly it might be taken as a symbol of my religious piety, which could not be further from my intention. From a practical standpoint I also think it would be a very bad idea to drive the spike on the bottom into the roof!

Symbols are powerful. I realize that. I really just want to connect my beautiful little building to Carlos' heritage with a piece of folk art from his city. One that pleases me mostly for its tradition and charming form and not so much as a religious symbol. This may seem like sacrilege to some of you. I'm sorry if it does. One or both crosses will find a home somewhere in the studio and if they bring protection and blessings on it I will take all the blessings I can get.

10 comments:

  1. Terry, the crosses are beautiful. I understand your sensitivity, but I think of them like weather vanes or hex signs one sees on barns. I do understand not wanting to let water find a pathway into the studio. Perhaps under the peaks of the roof? Where ever you hang them, I hope they bring you many blessings. Wishing you a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went and looked at your last photo of the studio building. Jeannie suggested putting a cross under the peak of the roof and I think that's a good idea. I thought of that when I looked at your studio photo -- before I read Jeannie's comment.
    You are drawn to spiritual symbols. Look at your "Spirit of sewing lady" with the glowing aura (I don't think that is the exact name.) So somehow such items are part of who you are despite your non-spiritual orientation.
    I agree that the cross should not face the street because that might confuse people passing by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read any text my first impression was something from Pennsylvania Dutch region. I would mount it on a post and orient perpendicular to the public view, maybe presiding over a small garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though they are similar to weather vanes, to mount one of these on the roof would seem to say chapel or church, as you said. I can see one of these beautiful crosses mounted on the front outside wall of the studio--similar to the hex symbols of the Pennsylvania Dutch. I like your honoring Carlos' heritage in this way.
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally I don't think it looks that much like a cross that you couldn't use it. I would have no problem putting that up on my roof. If the people you care about ask, you can explain its significance to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never seen these before you mentioned them before. I love how your including this in your home blends so many special aspects of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about putting it on the wall next to the door. I am with you on the desire to respect religious symbols, but also know that pull to honor those of the people you love and respect. I have a very small pair of Japanese lions guarding my front door that were a housewarming gift from a friend, as well as an Eye of Fatima in my kitchen window which was a bon voyage gift from another friend. I think if your heart wants to display the crosses, it should.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could hang them on one of the outside walls of the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete