Friday, October 14, 2011

Sewing table

Here is where I will be sewing. I put together a nice long table and then customized it to incorporate my sewing machine.

Ingredients and  tools:
  • 8' x 23" MDF board with white laminate from Home Depot
  • roll of iron-on laminate edging also from Home Depot
  • red Vika Amefors table support from IKEA
  • 4 white Vika Curry table legs from IKEA
  • saber saw to cut out a shape from the front of the table that my sewing machine will fit into
  • little Clover iron to attach laminate edging to table cut-out (a regular iron will work too, but the little one worked extra well)
add:
  • my favorite sewing machine
  • little old table that I've had forever that is just the right height for the sewing machine












8 comments:

  1. Very clever use of old and new! I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:35 AM

    Marvelous job! It is so exciting to see your studio take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing a great idea!
    Do you think you will need to screw down the clear riser? I use one like that and it tips if I lean on it too hard. Of course, screwing into particle board is iffy at best.

    Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit before I launch into a similar table. :o)

    Ha! my word verification was "ganizer" as in ORganizer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I few years ago G brought home a damaged desk from Target and he cut a hole in the top and inserted a sewing machine "lift". The surface for sewing is flat and the machine bounces up and down for replacement of bobbins. No drawers so it's roomy enough for me to be comfortable and man handle the fabric and the machine. I'm really hard on everything--breaking needles all the time as I pull and tug. I love the flat surface.

    I am going to get some of that laminated board and the little edge tape and make myself something. You made it look easy. No IKEA. Closest one is 3 hours away outside Boston. That's like an entire day to and from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:42 AM

    I predict a new red chair in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are ingenious! I think a lime green chair would set this off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you've created a perfect spot and thought out the practical details -- and of course it's lovely that you get to sew and look out at your woods, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie3:14 PM

    I'm moving soon and this is a great idea. I will certainly copy it.

    ReplyDelete