Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Red Domes

I finally photographed this quilt! And it is not a great photo—seems a little hazy, but OK for web viewing I think. I will take a better photo later. I think gremlins come in and mess with the settings on my camera. Yeah, that's exactly what I think happens.

I loved making this piece. It is not perfect, but I won't point out its flaws, because even with them, it expresses what I wanted to express. It is based on a photo, but it is a fantasy. A few months ago I decided I was done with realistic colors. I had so burned out on green and sky blue and brown. Time for a little "if I ruled the world..." So here is a pretty sedate basilica, all dressed up in new plaid clothes. Somebody asked me if it was in Russia. No—Mexico.

I have been thinking this would be good to submit for the High Fiber Diet "Simply Red" show. I went to HFD tonight and there was discussion about that red theme. "Does it have to be all red?" someone asked. "No, but it should read red" was the reply. Then we all got a little hilarious wondering how boring it might be to walk into a show where every piece was just red. I guess it will be up to the jurors to decide if "Red Domes" reads red. Seems like red is a pretty big theme, and it will be more interesting if everyone kind of dances around the idea of red rather than making 50 visions of hell, but I'm not a juror. We shall see. Can you see this in a red-themed show?

It is always a decision whether to post quilts that will be submitted to shows on my blog. In fact it has gotten to be a real bone of contention with blogger/artists. Some shows will not accept work that has been "published" and a blog is a kind of publishing. Pooey, phooey, phooey! That is such a pain. My blog is here to show my work. I guess if I ever think I may have a chance of being accepted into Quilt National, who are the most adamant about the no publishing rule, I will hold it back, but really—fat chance. So enjoy. (But don't ask me if there is a pattern available. No patterns. No.) But I do know that someone will ask how big it is. I don't remember. Maybe 2' by 3' give or take?

And just for fun, here is the photo that was the inspiration. The Basilica of Santo Domingo in Oaxaca, Mexico.





Someday I will do this again and make the domes black and white checkerboards, which were really pretty cool. And don't you think they should plant some cypress trees next to the basilica?

16 comments:

  1. Yes, it reads "red". And it is wonderful. Congratulations again. A show of all of one thing can be too boring. I went to an exhibit of Baltimore album quilts, rows and rows of them. I like looking at the "pictures" and the handwork, but after two rows I was done. Too much of a good thing. Love, Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if I didn't know it was made from over-dyed thrift store shirts, I would love it but that little fact just makes it even more wonderful! And it certainly "reads red". Your outline technique is so unique and really makes it pop. I think it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this. The plaid fabrics are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it reads RED :-) Beautiful !
    Maybe there have been cypresses and they have been taken down... they should replace them soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:59 AM

    I think it definitely 'reads' red. It is amazingly stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:00 AM

    I think it definitely 'reads' red. It is amazingly stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....awesome piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is gorgeous and I think it does read "red".

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just gorgeous-(sorry to sound generic, but it really is). Incidentally, I think it does definitely "read red" red is definitely the predominate color feeling I get from it, so I hope they accept it in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it definately "reads" RED! Love what you are doing with the shirting fabrics, I have been inspired to play with some myself :).

    If nothing else, dress shirts at 50 cents each from estate sales make very affordable fabric.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors in this make me smile. The composition is wonderful. And YES, it definitely reads 'red' to me. Red....my most favorite color in the world. (moment out for a small sigh of pleasure) Terry I really enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm struggling with that rule too. It's a new rule for New Zealand and so far I've only hear of it for the national Symposium that's coming up in July - and I guess it makes for a fresh, exciting show. Being a small country, you start seeing works again and again if you attend shows and read the local magazine. But I hate not being able to put my work on my blog. And what about my teeny tiny local guild show? They miss out on my work because I hope it will get accepted to a big show. I guess they can have it the year after....

    And your quilt reads RED perfectly (50 visions of hell - hahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful! I definitely read red. And the best part about that red? The neutrals behind the domes that make them sing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reads as RED to me. And you titled it Red Domes. I had a quilt (sold now) which was 95% red. Too much. But everyone loved it. I think if I walked into a gallery and all the quilts were saturated in RED, I would get a headache.

    Do you think the "no publish" rule is to stop copy cats? I think if readers who like to copy saw progress work on a blog they would hurry to make a look a like to get into QN. Just my opinion on the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I think it reads as red. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete