and just a little ashamed of my whine yesterday. I was feeling crummy, but no reason to inflict it on everyone else. Nevertheless, thanks for the sympathy. I was all out of ginger tea and bourbon, so had to pass on the recommendations, but I have filed them away for the future...
Today was a new day and much better. I gotta lotta stuff to do in the next few weeks, so it was back to the grindstone.
First of all I have to elaborate on something I mentioned yesterday. Car upholstery. My 10-year-old Subaru Forrester is still a great little car, but apparently my bony butt has taken its toll on the driver's side seat. Look at this. Sad, no? It cracked and then bits peeled off.
a kit that had gotten pretty good reviews. It has been sitting on my desk for about a year and yesterday I finally decided it would be a good day to use it and let the car sit overnight to cure. The kit consisted of little containers of goo in different colors. You mix them to match your vinyl upholstery as closely as possible, then fill the damaged area with the goo. The kit includes little paper sheets with embossed leather-ish textures. You lay one of those over the wet goo and heat set it, by moving a hot tool over it. I used my little Clover iron, which worked perfectly. When you pull up the paper the texture has impressed itself into the repair. Mixing the color to match was the hard part. I thought it was a perfect match, but you know how paint and such never dries the same color as it was wet? Yeah, that was a problem. But it is definitely an improvement. It actually looks like a better match in person, than it does in the photo. It feels pretty strong and firmly stuck in place. Time will tell.
I had another handy person task to attack, so today seemed like the time to take it on. I am participating in an art show and sale next month and I need to provide my own display fixtures. I have been stewing on this all summer and making little sketches of folding screens or panels I might build and basically just procrastinating what seemed like something hard. Then—I ran down to the local ReStore, where they sell salvaged and donated building supplies, to look for a few vinyl floor tiles for a project Ray was working on at our rental house. I found just what he needed, and I was about to check out, when I spotted two 3-panel folding screens. Huzzah! I could see possibilities and the price was right.
Both looked like this:
And while laying around watching TV yesterday I finished another little piece using some of my patina-ed copper washers and copper beads.