We started by removing the sink and sanding the counters. I used a small foam roller to avoid brush strokes, and painted it all with Kilz primer, then 3 coats of terra cotta colored semi-gloss latex paint. Before I painted a 4th coat, I mixed a little of the paint with a bit of dark green paint in a cup to get a barely darker shade of the color. Then I rolled on the 4th coat, sponging on a little of the darker shade as I went along to give it a very slightly mottled look. After that dried well I put on about 4 coats of clear urethane varnish (satin finish), letting each coat dry well before applying the next. Then we went to Mexico for two weeks and left it to dry hard undisturbed! Here is a closeup.
I don't know how well it will hold up. It seems a little delicate. Only time will tell.
The after pictures didn't really show the rug very well either. It was not in the original plan, but was rather a spontaneous purchase made in Oaxaca. I think it looks great.