Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Fiddlin' around

I have been so immersed in house remodeling/cleaning/selling/painting/etc. that I have not done anything creative with fabric in waaaaay too long. Our small STASH group decided we needed a new challenge, so we settled on "tree". Last night I started fiddling with some ideas.


I carved a little stamp and stamped and painted some leafy fabrics. Then I sketched. I was looking at our old lilac out front and looking especially at the shapes and angles of the bare branches.

Today I scanned the sketch and cropped it to something that I liked.


Too many branches. I started taking branches out and simplifying.

I like that better. I took it into Illustrator and started tracing and adding some color to get a feel for what that might be like.

Now the trunk looks spindly and off balance. The background is a little icky too, but it's just a start.

I think this has a ways to go, but it's a start. This is the point at which I have to let it simmer in the back of my head. Most likely I'll get some kind of idea just as I'm drifting off to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tree!

    I was so happy to open my QA over breakfast this morning and find your article about your fab finishing technique! "Is that my Terry?" I asked myself, and then when I looked at the illustrations, I recognized your pieces and your hands at the machine!

    Belated Happy Birthday wishes!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! those are awesome tools you have in your computer. and I loved the leaf stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the final shape of the tree you have now.
    And congratulations on your article in Quilting Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. QA is sitting right here on my coffee table; I hadn't registered that this is the issue with your article in it. And here I thought I was headed for bed...

    ReplyDelete