Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Water

The theme for the 12x12 challenge this time around is "water". This seems like a no-brainer, but I am having a very hard time getting an idea that excites me. Could be that I haven't spent time on art or quilts for what seems like months and my creative muscle has atrophied. Blehhhh. My brain has been occupied, nay, obsessed, with the projects at hand.

CLEAN THE HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! PAINT THE HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE!HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! SELL THE HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE! HOUSE! OLD HOUSE! NEW HOUSE!HOUSE! HOUSE! HOUSE! HOUSE! HOUSE! HOUSE!
It is making me OLD. And tired. I want it all . to. be. finished.

But I digress. Water. I took a day off from the HOUSE earlier this week to think about the water theme. I decided that maybe some fabric would inspire me. I think I have been hanging with Gerrie a lot because I decided to try painting some watery fabric. I started with a piece of hand-dyed fabric from my sister-in-law's company. It already had a sort of watery feel to it.


I added some color with watercolor crayons, then painted over them with diluted acrylic medium to set the added color. While the fabric was still wet I sprinkled some dishwasher detergent over it, to add some bleached spots.



Later I realized that I probably should have spritzed it all with a little more water to get the bleach working, but some of the larger granules discharged. After it was dried and then washed with anti-clor to stop the bleaching, then washed again, it looks like this.


I think those bleached speckles are reminiscent of sparkles on water. Maybe I can draw some inspiration from this piece of fabric. I think it needs to be something pretty simple.

Today when I was out at the new house I took a break from laying flooring in the utility room (yes, I am laying flooring. I am too OLD for this...) I walked outside to inspect the creek. It is running clear now and it was sparkling a little like my fabric piece. It sounded great, too. I wish I could get the sound of water in a quilt.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:16 AM

    I love those little sparkles on your cloth.I can nearly hear the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cloth is very pretty but sometimes I wish you would tell us how you REALLY feel.
    It must really be a bad market out there-I can't imagine that gorgeous house not selling immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling a lot like you right now -- house house house! I really want to be thinking quilt, quilt, quilt, but the reality of getting everything ready for the movers, phones and activities canceled, cat with proper vet papers, kids with proper papers, etc., etc., is really distracting. I'm glad you were able to carve out some creative time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, am surprised the house hasn't sold already...it is beautiful and the yard is so lovely...ah well, maybe when it warms up a bit folks will feel more like going out and looking.
    I know you're not a big fan of beads on cloth, but shipwreck beads
    http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/search/Rosemontee%20Rhinestones
    has some gorgeous tiny (3mm) rhinestone sew-ons that would add some lovely water sparkle to your piece....JUST a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and blogger cut off the end of the url...if you go to shipwreck beads and search for rosemontees, you will see what I mean...

    ReplyDelete