Thursday, April 03, 2008

Further proof . . .


(that less is more)

Do you remember way back when I was planning this kitchen and asking for opinions about the tile on the backsplash? I had this fully tiled deal in mind and was just trying to figure out how much of the Talavera tile and how much of something else and what configuration. I ordered enough of the Talavera for two rows and planned to order plain tiles to go with it, then things got a little complicated by the placement of all the outlets and the realization that those tiles were going to be interrupted by outlets. I hummed on all this for awhile and grumbled a bit, and put off making a decision. Then after the countertops went in I brought in a few tiles just to see how they were going to look with the counters and suddenly that single little row I set up looked perfectly perfect to me.


I looked at trim pieces to finish the top and even those seemed like too much. Once again the "less is more" principle kicked in. And I have leftover tile. I used some of them to tile the top of a little rolling work station cart.

The kitchen really is finished now and I love it. I was there today sealing the grout and the sun was pouring in the skylight and and garden window. I am glad I made the choices I made. It has warmth and color. So many of the contemporary kitchens I looked at were beautiful, but very, very neutral—grey or brown granite, brown cabinets, wood floors, white or cream walls, stone colored tiles—and I knew I would grow bored with that kind of kitchen. I can hardly wait to start moving my stuff in and using it here. I think this rug that we bought in Mexico last year will look great in front of the sink. (Or maybe not. Take deep breath. Repeat. "Less is more, less is more")

Can you believe this kitchen used to look like this?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:15 PM

    Thanks for showing us your new kitchen. It looks rich and warm - just the place for making new family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:55 AM

    ummmm, perfect. June

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your new kitchen is wonderful. You are right, less tile is more exciting.
    I do love your "old" white kitchen (in the old house), though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:40 AM

    Oh, I love the tile! A single row looks great! I am in the throes of choosing a new backsplash for my kitchen too and I'm wondering....what kind of paint do you have on your wall above the tile? Because that is why I need a tile backsplash because I can only clean the painted wall so many times. My husband is a messy cook and splashes food on the wall sometimes. Are you able to scrub down your painted wall? And if so, what kind of paint is it? The kitchen looks lovely...congrats! cheers, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Terry, I can't wait to see your new kitchen when we come out in June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin' good! I can't wait to see it in person; I'm sure it is much more lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Love the kitchen, I was wondering what color your walls are?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete