Monday, November 02, 2009

Art Every Day, Day 2

I was glad everyone agreed with my idea of cropping the Mt. Hood piece. I was almost certain that was what I wanted to do, but it is always good to get a reality check before whacking off a big slice of the work!

I have decided I really need to photograph all my work and look at it on my monitor as I work on it. I notice things there that I don't see when I am looking at the real thing. For instance, I noticed that the horizon line was tilted in an odd way, so that has been remedied since yesterday, with an additional slice of landscape added. One more small change I made was to lighten the sky just along the horizon line. It is not a lot, but adds some dimension to the sky.

Here it is trimmed and layered, ready to start the quilting process.

Here's a closeup, to show the color and detail a little better.

And finally, I started quilting the background. I really like what the quilting is doing. I think it is going to add a lot.
Thanks for reading. Your comments are always appreciated!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. I like where this is going too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good. And more than I got done today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:09 AM

    The quilting is fantastic, along with your color and fabric choices. I like to photograph work, too and look at it in grayscale for value shifts. The distinguishing black line that emphasizes important boundaries marks this a unique and beautiful Terry Grant original!

    Mary Manahan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always different on the monitor isn't it? I have switched it to black and white also to check values. Pretty helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the quilting has really added a lot of perspective to the piece. It is going to be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that quilting is looking wonderful already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's shaping up beautifully, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just out of curiosity, what kind of batting are you using on this one? That little bit you've done already is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete