Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another Bird's Eye View


I am working on a second piece to submit to "Bird's Eye View". This one is also a scene from an airplane window, though drawn from imagination rather than a photo. I have always loved the way fields seen from above look like a patchwork, and how many different shades of green they are, depending on what crop is growing in the field. So this piece is as much a study of greens as it is a landscape. It makes me think of the farms in SE Idaho where I grew up. That area was really high desert and mountains that has been converted to rich, volcanic farmland with the magic application of water. This is where those "famous potatoes" come from, as well as sugar beets, wheat, safflower and many other crops. Above you can see all the pieces fused in place. I used many of my collection of green solid fabrics and used my pastels and watercolor crayons to add additional color and texture. I discovered a nifty way of making that dotty pattern. Tomorrow I will give you a little more info on that part of it.



Below you can see that I have started quilting. I am using variegated thread to add even another level of color and texture.


13 comments:

  1. I love the way this piece rewards you when you look close up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! The quilt I would make if I could!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swoon! Fabulous. I am loving every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous and is so much like the farms one sees on the Canterbury Plains, when one flies into Christchurch New Zealand. It makes me feel homesick for that view again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful piece Terry. When we flew to India and were traveling over the Middle East, I was interested to see the same patterns, but the colors were in browns and beige!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! As soon as I saw it, it reminded me of the view from an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry - this is a wonderful piece! So glad I can see it now on my computer screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I like the way you added that teeny , tiny barn.
    I'm flying tomorrow and I'll be sure to look out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:48 PM

    O man I am LOVING this! Awesome texture you're getting! You totally rock the long skinny layout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! That teeny-tiny farm is so cute and I love the dots and the stitching lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful...I have always loved the way field look too. I really like the idea of painting and quilting together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very special quilt. I like everything about it -- the shape, the texture, and especially the small farm building in the midst of all those fields. What a view.
    Landscape quilt are usually not favorites of mine, but this one is almost like a map quilt.
    I did a sketch for a map quilt a long time ago and perhaps I will pull it out again and try to use some of your techniques.

    ReplyDelete