Friday, January 29, 2010

Working, working

I started working on a new quilt yesterday. It will be a large one for me. It must be an exact, prescribed size, which is never easy, in my opinion.

It has been cold and my workroom is heated by a wall heater, so until it warms up things are cold in there. I like to carry my little pot of tea in with me to warm both my insides and my hands until the heater is up to speed. I was given this little 2-cup teapot by a sweet friend (who will read this and know who she is) and I have loved it so much. It holds about two cups and has a mesh basket inside to hold loose tea. I have been drinking black tea with cherry and almond. It smells as good as it tastes.

This quilt needs background. I saw a technique that my twelve by twelve friend, Terri Stegmiller used and knew instantly that this would be the perfect way to construct the kind of background I need for this piece. It required me to pull out every piece of brown-ish fabric that I own and cut scraps in triangle and trapezoid shapes.

That is a tissue box sitting on my work table. Don't you always look for the coolest box designs when you buy tissues? I do. Much more important than the quality of the tissue inside. Ha! When they are empty I use the box as a little waste basket in my sewing area. tiny fabric scraps and thread snips go into the box until it is full and then discarded. By then there is usually another empty to take its place.

This part is a little tedious. I am cutting up scraps and scraps and scraps. Since this quilt is for an invitational show I'm not sure how much I can show beforehand, but I will deifinitely keep showing this background as it grows. I haven't used this technique before, but I am liking how it looks so far. It's going to take awhile.
............................................................................................

I have to tell you how much I appreciate all the comments left on yesterday's post. Lovely, supportive words from old blog friends and new. Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. I'm liking that background. What a really, really special friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also this one looks like an aerial view of a cultivated landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... anmd this is just what a good blog post should be, moreover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very intrigued by your quilt. I can't wait to see more progress on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use of directional fabric and value... can't wait to see more... and I love your response on SAQA about your blog...V

    ReplyDelete
  6. like this background....can't wait to see how it develops!
    your tea looks great! my dye studio is cold as can be this time of year, unless I think ahead and turn on the heat! So, I don't get much dyeing done until lovely Spring arrives

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will take a different direction here....tissue boxes...yes I look for the more interesting patterns, but seem to end up with the ugly boxes. My daughter and I even had a conversation about tissue boxes, but I didn't blog about it. Maybe I should....

    I read your blog, Terry, because you aren't selling anything. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy! A new big quilt! I can't wait to see more! Love how the collage background is looking. I laughed at your buying tissue boxes for their designs -- that is EXACTLY what I do (to the puzzlement of my husband who totally doesn't get why I'll reject certain boxes when we're at the store together) AND I'll really stock up on the unusual shapes (those cool ovals at Christmas time are my favorites!) Using them for scraps is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Terry,
    I just discovered the comment you left at my new group site. Of course I remember you from Ashland. Your store was one of the reasons I moved there - I couldn't live in a town without a quilt store!
    And yes, I follow your blog all the time and think it is wonderful. I still have an art quilt group going here and Elaine Turcke is very much involved. I also see Carol Balone and Martha Lewis when they come into Quiltz (where I work part time).
    My daughter is at school at Lewis & Clark so I even get to your neck of the woods on occasion.
    Keep doing what you are doing. Your writing and your art inspire us all.
    Karen in Ashland!
    PS To see my stuff and some of the art quilt challenges go to Karenworks.blogspot.com We have come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what exactly is the technique here? Are you fusing pieces to the batting? Or sewing a seam and then flipping them open? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete