Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Faces

I have been watching the small quilts that Joan Samuelson has been posting for the last few days. They are wonderful faces. I love faces in art. I create a lot of faces. Here are some of my quilted faces:













I think a lot of people think drawing or painting or sewing a face is very daunting because it is all about making it look like a real person. Nawww—that's what photography is for. To me it is about how you abstract the idea of a face to create personality. A face can be expressed in just a few simple lines or in great detail. Quilting a face is tricky. There is the danger of making the face look wrinkled and aged when not intended. I deal with that by doing minimal quilting on faces. I love examining all the vastly different ways artists portray faces. Aren't they fascinating? They say the human face is the most compelling image there is. I find a lot of great faces in Latin American art.


A painting by Ecuadorean artist, Cristobal Gonzalez Guzman


Another Ecuadorean, Eduardo Kingman


Pre-columbian, Mexico


Print of Che Guevara from photo by Alberto Korda


Seen on the street in Taxco, Mexico

I am thinking about faces I want to make.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:21 AM

    I love your face quilts. They are awesome. Rhonda M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of all, I love the button angel. This expression is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know more about how you capture the face on a quilt piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great faces, Terry. Yours are unique and I might recognize one as yours even if I didn't know who made it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome task, creating faces. I would never attempt such a thing. Thanks for the blog and the fascinating photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for these...just wonderful and inspiring. As you know from my blog...I'm a big "face" person too...the never ending and never boring set of funny sad curious beautiful mysterious faces of the world (and our imaginations!). Enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete