Friday, January 22, 2010

Taking my own picture


I have been working on my parts of the Twelve by Twelve book and one of the things the publisher wants are photos of each of us in our studios. I took this photo this morning for that purpose. I may try again, or I may use this one. I don't think it's too bad. The vain part of me doesn't much like my saggy, aging neck, but it is what it is.

I am tracing an image onto fabric, using my lightbox. I took the picture by setting up my camera on a tripod, then setting the timer. To me it looks like I feel when I am doing this. I didn't dress up or put lipstick on for the picture and my shirt was pulled off a hanger in the laundry room, unironed.

Pictures of me always surprise me. I look so much older than I feel. But probably not older than I am. Of course I never see myself from this angle. When I look in the mirror I see white hair. The side view shows me how dark it still is in the back. Somehow I think the little blog profile picture up in the corner looks more like me because that is what I look like in the mirror. I pull myself up as tall as I can, suck in everything that can be sucked and smile a big cheesy smile. Today's picture is probably more like what the rest of you see.

13 comments:

  1. I is always nice to know one is not alone in this world. I remember someone on TV saying, the neck is one of the first parts to show your age, so you have to project your chin forward and the waddle disappears, but with it gone, your chin and mouth are all askew. Maybe a tall turtleneck will work. Side profile works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I am always surprised when I see photos of myself. Because I think I am younger and thinner than I really appear to the rest of the world. Thanks for your thoughtful post. I am not alone.

    I love the photo by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the picture looks good but I have to chuckle as I hate my neck and pictures are definitely reminding me of the parts of aging I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not us who look old. Just the body does. The heart stays young, that's why the aging of the body sometimes surprises us. But to me, this is exactly the evidence that we may own this body, but we ARE not this body.
    By the way, I think you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to see the artist at work. I'll trade your neck with mine any day and I don't feel anything like I look-thank goodness. We do have the same haircut though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look like an artist. You look focused and engaged. You look like the most important thing in the world at this split second is what is in front of you and happening because you are making it happen. You look real. And, you look like someone whose art is worth seeing as well. So I'd say it is a successful portrait of an artist...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only seen you in-the-flesh once, but I think that is a great picture of you. And the shirt color is very good, ironed or not! Your chin doesn't look so saggy, but you could always do the chin exercise regularly to reduce what you think is there. You are a great looking lady - stand proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great picture! It captures you!! It is the Terry I remember most. The only thing missing is a slight grin.

    BTW, I think yellow is your color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:19 PM

    I like this picture. It is my view of you when we walk--of course your chin isn't out that far--usually tucked into your shirt to stay warm. Still the same Terry I know & love.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your picture VERY much....but I'd like to see more of your scissors in the background! LOL I adore scissors and am most curious about yours!
    No, I am shocked when I look in the mirror and see how old I appear....who is that old woman peering out at me? I feel like I'm sixteen, but then my thirty year old daughter tells me, in more ways that one, that I am a bit older! LOL

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it. It is how I imagine you look when you are hard at work creating something wonderful.

    I have the same problem with looking different on the outside than I feel on the inside. I still see myself as the 20-something person I was. The lady in the mirror always surprises me -- I don't quite recognize her even though people say 20 years hasn't changed me that much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this photo much better than your profile photo because this is the Terry I know and spend time with. I do not see a saggy chin or neck, I see a great artist at work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the photo! It looks real, and think you look go in it. But I know what you mean, thinking about having a photo taken or doing it myself always ties me up in knots -- I start worrying about what to wear etc, then I don't get anything else done!

    ReplyDelete