Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3 dimensions

A few months ago I read about Anne Lemanski and her stitched paper sculptures in Fiberarts magazine. You can see a lot of it on her web site here. I have been fascinated by creating 3-dimensional stitched work for a long time. I have shown a lot of my stuffed birds on this blog. Years ago I made a whole series of stuffed animals. I looked at Anne Lemanski's work and loved the very precise seaming she creates to give dimension to her animals and wondered how one even begins to create something like that.

It seemed like I might be able to adapt the bird pattern I developed to this more engineered form. I started by cutting paper pieces and slashing and adding to the pieces in ways that took them from flat to dimensional.

Then I cut my paper model apart and made pattern pieces.


I transferred the pattern to stiff interfacing, fused to fabric, which I thought would give the pieces the flatness and stiffness I needed. They could be a little stiffer I think. I am still working on this prototype, but I like what is happening so far.

Ray dubbed it "Frankenstein Bird" because of the prominent stitching.

More to come . . .

10 comments:

  1. But I don't think that a Frankenstien Bird would have such straight and uniformed stitching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I look forward to seeing your process and completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:58 AM

    Cool, but how about Frankenbird?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So these are going to be more stylized/architectural, then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at how you can visualize in 3-D!! I can't wait to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too admired Anne Lemanski's work. I especially liked her clever titles (or was it the clever use of pattern to reflect the title?). I admire your work in backwards engineering her technique. I can't wait to see where you take it next.

    I'm also enamored of Michael Sherrill's work (though I think I saw it in American Craft, not Fiber Arts) in metal and porcelain and kind of wonder if I could adapt his revealing of layers to my fiber work....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! A new take on some of my favorite birds. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like fun and i liked anne's work also....i too am fascinated with 3D work w/fiber.....if you haven't already- check out kay khan's work...amazing.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I think you're on to something here. Looks like it will be wonderful! I always love what you do.

    Synthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexandra Alcantara10:53 AM

    I love your birds and all your work. Here's m link to the whole flock of birds I made http://bit.ly/brmT0b

    ReplyDelete