Friday, July 30, 2010

The object #11 A New Breed of Bird


Here is my new bird. A bit more sculptural, a bit less stuffed. I actually stuffed this one with wadded up plastic bags from the grocery store. Seemed like a good use for them, though there is talk here in Oregon of outlawing plastic grocery bags. Anyway, the bird did not need the polyfil stuffing to give him dimension, so he is lightly stuffed.

I think this is an idea worth pursuing and I have some thoughts about different kinds of materials.

The other day I went to visit my friend June and we walked down to Hawthorne Street, near her house, to have lunch. On our way we passed a small business that makes futons and there was a box of discarded wood blocks sitting out on the sidewalk—obviously scrap from their process, and presumably there for passersby to take if they wanted to. I picked up a couple nice rectangles, thinking they might make bases for the birds. None of my birds have had bases, but they all balance a bit precariously on their little wire legs. I sanded and painted one and attached the new bird. I think I like it. Makes it seem more like sculpture and less like a toy.

Here's another view.

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Now there is no mistaking that it is a piece of art. Amazing how you do this, Terry. And how lucky to find just what you needed as a base. meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the detail stitching on him/her. A wonderful addition to your flock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! In the back view it looks like "Frank" is about to take flight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this Bird 2.0! Very sculptural. I also like it on the base a lot -- plus that leaves the possibility of something there with him -- egg, or next, or twig, or....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Architectural. And I think the base is a very good addition. Some soft embossed metal would be nice. the tail has a nice look.

    I made something like this out of stiff brown paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I immediately want one. Please let me know when they are for sale.

    I must tell you that every time my cleaning woman comes, my Joseph Bird is left sitting on his elbows. He really prefers to be on his feet, so I stand him up again. I think there is some merit to the little block of wood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like this Terry,
    I think the stitching adds to the sculptural quality by giving it a bit of texture.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea to give him something to rest on. Birds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the bird. You've got something going here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh I do do love this bird - I think you are on to something by putting it on a base too....... I can see that bird sitting in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the direction that your bird has gone. Your stitching is wonderful. Nice touch with the addition of the wooden block. Tell your husband I don't think you bird looks at all like a Frankenstein bird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. A base definitely finishes the bird off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terry,
    I love the bird! Your careful stitching is beautiful.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. "In the morning I have birds: divine messengers..."
    Terry, this is fab. The earlier birds were wonderful, this one is more so. Please make more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sculpture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this new shape, and the stitching on the edges - lovely!

    ReplyDelete