Sunday, December 12, 2010

An Experiment

I had an idea in the middle of the night. It involved the drawing of the pine cone that I posted yesterday. This morning I printed the scan of my drawing on a piece of drawing paper. It printed lighter than the deep black ink of my pens, because our laser printer, though it has a brand new toner cartridge, just doesn't want to print very dark. Because the image was only 72 ppi, which is fine for displaying on the web, but lower resolution than is optimal for printing, it printed a little pixel-y as well. The two things combined to make it look more like a pencil drawing than the ink drawing that it was. Interesting.


Then I colored it with my Inktense watercolor pencils and brushed on a little water to make the color bloom. It worked quite well, I think. I prefer the black and white version to the color, but this was a good thing to try out.

By the way, I love the Inktense pencils. They go on like a regular colored pencil, then you brush a little water across them and they dissolve and become more intense in color like watercolor. Then, the best part, for me, is that they dry permanent, even on fabric.

9 comments:

  1. What fun. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the illustrations of Beatrix Potter and her generation of artists... I love the feel of it!

    AND I think Santa listened to my wishing this year...a box addressed to the hubster arrived from Dick Blick.... I may be playing with a big fat set of Inktense on the 25th!

    Cool beans, Terry....
    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santa has brought me Inktense pencils, or maybe the cat did it, I haven't decided. I am trying hard to wait until Christmas, but it might be difficult. Lovin' the pinecone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to know wabout those pencils. I will have to try that out on fabric.

    I think you're right about the necessity of drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might drop hints to Santa's helpers about Inktense pencils. If they are permanent on fabric they sound ideal. I've been mulling an idea and it needs color on fabric.

    I enjoy seeing all of your art. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just loving the inktense pencils! And they do work so well on fabric. Love the pinecone - they are really really hard to draw well and yours is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely experiment! I may just give these pencils a try. I usually play with neocolor pencils..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got to learn more about those pencils too. That is a great drawing of a pinecone too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this pine cone a lot. It has a rich, warm feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete