Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Work of Christmas

When the song of the angels is stilled,
When the star in the sky is gone.
When the kings and princes are home,
When the shepards are back with their flock,
The work of Christmas begins:
To find the lost,
To heal the broken,
To feed the hungry,
To release the prisoner,
To rebuild the nations,
To bring peace among brothers,
To make music in the heart.
—Howard Thurman "The Work of Christmas"

I hope you all had as nice a Christmas as we did. My daughter was sick, which was not such a good thing, but otherwise it was perfect. The gifts were perfect, the food was delicious, the children were sweet and excited and grateful. I could illustrate this post better if I had taken more and better pictures, but the few I took were not good, so you just get this little glimpse of the tree. The other pictures are in my head.

My friend, Muriel, sent me a book of wonderful quotes called, "A Grateful Heart." The words above are from the book. They seemed perfect for our dinner toast/blessing, and a reminder of what we should take from our celebrations and good feelings as we journey into a new year. My thanks to all of you who add so much to my life and for the music you make in my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely sentiment. Thanks, Terry. I hope Em does not have what Steph and family have - not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well, my DH who's many hobbies include photography once told me that a famous photographer once said he doesn't not shoot every photo op he sees...some he just takes with his eyes and tucks in his memory. Glad your holiday was filled with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem--a keeper! I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a lovely Christmas, Terry -- and I agree, the best photo memories are the ones you LIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the beautiful posts and for your kind words these past months. Hope you are all well and warm soon.
    Woke up to 2 feet of snow today. That's the picture I had this morning. Sun glistening off the snow drifts. Very pretty study in white.

    ReplyDelete