Monday, December 13, 2010

Looking for the spirit

It is beginning to look a little more festive around here. I took a deep breath and cut into the quilt and made it into a tree skirt and it is perfect. We are pushing ahead toward Christmas. It has been a particularly dark and dreary week. The rain has been relentless. Sofia and Emily and I are all recovering from crappy head colds and are barking like seals. Sofia and I both have congested ears and we spent today yelling "what??" at each other. But I think we are all getting better. Slowly.

We need to slow down. Next week Emily and Cayo's Christmas break starts. Good for all of us.

Mary and Joseph as Ecuadorean Panama hat makers.


It seems wrong that other peoples' sorrow is sometimes what it takes to make me feel lucky. The past month has been filled with tragedy for friends and acquaintances. It seems like it happens that way doesn't it? You float along for months, even years at a time and then suddenly one death after another in the circle of acquaintance. I hope it is over for awhile. I know—it's never over, but maybe for awhile? I'm ready for some good news. Meanwhile I am moved to look around at my own good news every day of good health and family and friends and still ache for the losses in my friends' lives. Christmas is a happy time, but always, it seems to me, a melancholy time as well. Who, among us, isn't reminded this time of year of childhood Christmases and people we miss? It is the darkest week of the year. It is no wonder we light up trees and candles. In a week the days will start getting longer. I am looking forward to that.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely, thoughtful, post Terry. Hope you are all feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and thank you for all your posts Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking a lot myself about what you said in your last paragraph. I burst into tears last night just wanting one more Christmas with all of my children here. Not going to happen any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that counting one's blessings diminishes anyone else's sorrows -- I think they go hand in hand -- the mourning of those gone and the celebration of these near. I've found that teh best way to confront teh melancholy is to remember that Christmas is but one holiday and while we may not be able to be with our family right now (like Gerrie and I) there will be other opportunities throughout the year (as I look forward to probably summer trips).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kristin, I think by counting our blessings, we are honoring those that are having a tough season. I have not had one holiday that isn't marked by someone in my family passing, and the one thing that seemed to make it bearable, were those friends who had a little extra gratitude for the family members they still had. So count your blessings, and we will all offer up a prayer to those of ours that we know are having a littler harder/darker time of the season this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Kristin said. We should appreciate the good things as much as we trudge through the bad. We all get both. No sense focusing only on the bad. Friends who are low today will be at a point of celebration later. As friends we want to be there for both.

    I'm glad that you, too, have to take that deep breath before cutting into a 'finished' piece. That first cut is a scary one for me! :)

    ReplyDelete